Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife Needs Cancer Surgery

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

I was notified today that my wife a retired 1SG and 60% sc has breast cancer and will have to undergo surgery. We have TriCare Prime and are both employed. Both of us will turn 60 this year. Because of my recent triple bypass surgery her leave hours are almost disminished.

Will VA offer any assistance such as 100% disability after the operation for a number of months? She does not have any service connection for breast cancer however she has had several cysts removed while in the service. She retired with 20 years in Jan 2003.

I was told by my SO at VFW that I will most likely be rated 100% after his reading of my recent C&P. I don't expect that to be of any benefit for my wife - will it?

Thank you all for your assistance.

Jerry O

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

She may be eligible for ChampVA if you are rated 100% P&T. Sorry about your wife I will pray for her complete recovery.

Pete

Jerry- The VA saved one of my best friend's life -a vet with cancer, needing surgery.

Temp 100% hospitalization benefits and convalescent benefits are found in the regs at 38 CFR 4.30.

There is info here under a search also-

These regs and the criteria for them ,apply to surgery or hospitalization for service connected conditions.or immobilization in cast for a service connected condition.

Is there any potential that the breast cancer is connected to the inservice cysts?

Maybe not the case but -enough of a potential nexus to consider-

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Sorry I am not much help on knowing exactly what resources the VA might help you with in the near future. She might be eligible for education benefits if you are 100% - but I am not sure how that plays out with her own VA disability.

Is your wife's cancer considered a slow growing type? Is there any way a medical doctor would write an opinion that based on the type of cancer she has that it is more likely than not that her cancer started in the service?

Id so - she has a potential for being granted 100% SC on her own claim. But that is still not something you can count on in the near future.

My husband and I visited the Cancer Survivor Park when we were in Kansas City last summer. It is one of the parks built by blochcancer.org, a foundation for helping cancer survivors.

Free

I was notified today that my wife a retired 1SG and 60% sc has breast cancer and will have to undergo surgery. We have TriCare Prime and are both employed. Both of us will turn 60 this year. Because of my recent triple bypass surgery her leave hours are almost disminished.

Will VA offer any assistance such as 100% disability after the operation for a number of months? She does not have any service connection for breast cancer however she has had several cysts removed while in the service. She retired with 20 years in Jan 2003.

I was told by my SO at VFW that I will most likely be rated 100% after his reading of my recent C&P. I don't expect that to be of any benefit for my wife - will it?

Jerry O

Jerry O

Jerry are both of you veterans? If she is rated at 60% service connected and the VA does the surgery she may be entited to a temporary 100% rating provided the issue is service connected. This is particularly key. The other thing you may want to examine is to check with your local VA FEE Basis section to find out what type of other assistance may be offered in the event that the two of you incur any bills.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry,

Since your wife isn't service-connected for the cancer, she isn't eligible for the temporary 100% evalution under §4.29 and §4.30.

Vike 17