Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife Has Cancer

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

My wife who retired in Jan 2003 was diagnosed with malignant breast cancer last week. She was given hormone threapy while in service and had several cyst removed from her breast. Would anyone know if hormone threaphy which has been know to cause breast cancer or anything about treatment or VA services for breast cancer. She is 60% because of feet and bone matters.

I know must of ya'all are male type vet's but we all love our women that stood by us and we especially love the women who served by our side. She did both! Waited until the kids were grown and then went in. She had her degree and WANTED to serve as an NCO - that was her dream and she served well - retired as a first shirt.

Thanks Vets.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry,

You and your wife should ask a doctor if her hormone therapy could have been the casue of her breast cancer. If he/she says it's a possibility, then they should put that in writing. This is what the VA will need to award service-connection.

Vike 17

Jerry,

You sound very proud of your wife :D My husband retired as a shirt too.

Hormone replacement therapy HAS been linked to breat cancer, but it is not a strong enough link to be considered a "given." Though it COULD be a possibility.

There are so many different TYPES of breast cancer. If your wife's breast cancer was one of the hormone sensitive types, then the possibility would be more likely.

I agree with Vike. Ask her doctor what he / she thinks. And if they think there is a strong connection, or even a "more likely than not" then see if you can get them to write an opinion.

If they think it is a probability, or even a possibility - but aren't willing to write an opinion - then you might want to ask for a referral to a doctor who will.

You can also find out as much as you can about the type of cancer your wife has - and do some research on it and see how much of a connection you can find to that type of cancer. But then - once again, you will want to find a doctor who will make that connection. Dr's who publish articles on the topic may be someone who can help you - or refer you.

Simply finding evidence that hormone therapy CAN cause breast cancer won't be strong enough. You will need someone who is medically qualified to give an opinion that there is a strong probabilty that the hormone therapy your wife had in service is related to her breast cancer.

OR there might be some other service related links you haven't considered yet.

Free

My wife who retired in Jan 2003 was diagnosed with malignant breast cancer last week. She was given hormone threapy while in service and had several cyst removed from her breast. Would anyone know if hormone threaphy which has been know to cause breast cancer or anything about treatment or VA services for breast cancer. She is 60% because of feet and bone matters.

I know must of ya'all are male type vet's but we all love our women that stood by us and we especially love the women who served by our side. She did both! Waited until the kids were grown and then went in. She had her degree and WANTED to serve as an NCO - that was her dream and she served well - retired as a first shirt.

Thanks Vets.

In 2002 - my doc recommended I do HRT for some of the problems I was having. After questions he asked and seeing my family history, we decided a little pain was better than a higher risk of getting cancer. Like Free said there is a Link - in some women the risk is higher.

Here's an article I found on the subject.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16206352/

Jerry O,

I wanted to add my prayers and support to your wife and family!

I think that hormones did or could have played a role. I had uterine cancer several years ago, and my doctor told me that hormone replacement for my hysterectomy wasn't possible. He told me that the hormones promoted cancer growth. So, I think it is worth checking into!

Again....love and prayers to your family!

Gwen

There could be a nexus to the inservice cysts.

Also there is considerable information on the net that links hormone usage to breast cancer- such as :

http://www.oralchelation.com/calcium/footbone/fbartifi.htm

Also the foot and bones problems-

the meds for these conditions might have a linkage to her cancer.

The type of hormones she took, the cause of the cysts and the treatment and her full SMRs and VA and private medical records could possibly reveal a linkage that the VA would service connect.

However all of the abstracts and medical reviews on the net- while they would help show the nexus- would also need a strong IMO to back this claim up.

I think this should be pursued and she should file a claim.

"Updated: 6:52 p.m. ET April 18, 2007

ATLANTA - New government numbers give some of the strongest evidence yet that menopause hormones can raise the risk of breast cancer.

Rates of the disease leveled off in 2004 after plunging in 2003, the year after millions of women stopped taking hormones because a big study tied them to higher heart, stroke and breast cancer risks.

Experts said the leveling off shows that the 2003 drop in the cancer rate was real and not a fluke.

Story continues below ↓"

Also this BVA decision ( a Remand) is based on the same premise as what you have told us regarding your wife:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files3/9924672.txt

The veteran had considerable disabilities which she claimed as due to hormone therapy inservice.

There are other cases at the BVA ( over 200 I think) in which the word 'hormones' appears and it might pay to take time to access the ones similiar to her situation.

I wonder if this vet succeeded after the remand-at the RO level.

Your wife has a very valid basis for a claim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Berta