Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Understand Bennies Under Pt

Rate this question

robert51

Question

Living in Cebu < Philippines and wondering is there anyone here who knows where a vet can go to get help understanding the paperwork bullshit in applying for the chapter 35 school stuff for the kids and getting them a id for champava..?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

If you go to the VA web site and click on the educational icon- there should be an area for Chap 35-

These claims are handled by only a few regional offices-that have specific educational departments -the site should direct you-

What I mean is my kid lives in Maryland but her Chap 35 VARO is the same one I have, Buffalo NY-

The student needs to file out the Chap 35 form (they usually send each dependent this app with the P & T award)

The app is also at the VA web site.

The school must be VA approved and the student

should send a copy of the award letter with the application.

On my application I had to give them name and address of my school, and an estimate of the cost of my schooling-

Within a few weeks I got my Certificate of eligibility -

ooops forgot- at first they denied me and I screamed about that and then I got my certificate of eligibility in 2 weeks and they sent it all to my school too.

They buggered my kid's initial app too- but straightened that out quick-

(I hear ya on the BS part)

Your child will need to contact the school's VA counselor and can coordinate the benefits with them-

what I do is -as soon as I enroll in a course, I pay for it, then I send the VA counselor at the school and also an email to the Buffalo VA RO education dept identifying

the course, length of course, professor's name etc and the c file number , and fact that the tuition has been paid.

The tuition has got to be paid first , then VA figures out the monthly rate and they are pretty good about getting that part right.

Your VARO also should know what VARO is handling Chap 35 claims in your area.

On the CHAMPVA- they also have a web site-

the application can be made there or by calling them for it (phone number at web site)-toll free-

This is not technically a VA program- and most of their people know what they are doing and are excellent to talk to by phone.

I think CHAMPVA too will need a copy of the P & T award letter-

been so long I forget.

Or maybe they access this through the VA itself.

That should not take long to get a CHAMPVA card and the booklet explaining the program.

The tuition has got to be paid first , then VA figures out the monthly rate and they are pretty good about getting that part right. quote

What does that mean ? my son is going to nursing school as also my daughter ,, son is in 2nd semester of first year.. daughter is 2nd sem of 2nd year i thought the amount paid was standard like when i went to school years ago. full time (( this amount )) half time (( this amount and so on...

The tuition has got to be paid first , then VA figures out the monthly rate and they are pretty good about getting that part right. quote

What does that mean ? my son is going to nursing school as also my daughter ,, son is in 2nd semester of first year.. daughter is 2nd sem of 2nd year i thought the amount paid was standard like when i went to school years ago. full time (( this amount )) half time (( this amount and so on...

Yes- you are correct- here is the latest rates:

and also- Robert- here is the Educational link-

they have a query section too and are pretty good about responding if you send them email.

They seem to divide the amount that is due -depending on schedule into 3-4 month period-

I usually got a check for each month of the semester-as part of the overall Chap 35 payment.

The GI Bill payment system works in a different way-

http://www.gibill.va.gov/education/benefits.htm

(It says GIBill but Chap 35 -which they call DEA too - is there as well as the entire pamphlet on these benefits.)

Education

Home Page

Ask a Question

and

Find Answers

Education Benefit Programs

WAVE

Payment Rates

Education Forms

Electronic Application Form

Education News

Foreign Training

Transition Assistance

Information

School Officials Area

VA-ONCE

For School Official Use Only

Regulations & Policy

Education Advisory

Committees

Links

Contact Information

INCREASED EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE ALLOWANCE

UNDER CHAPTER 35

The annual cost of living in Educational Assistance Allowance for trainees under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of title 38, U.S.C.) has been approved. The following monthly rates are effective October 1, 2005.

YOU NEED TAKE NO ACTION. However, if for some reason your payment for the month of October does not reflect the increased rate, contact the nearest VA regional office at

1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or click on the "Ask a Question and Find Answers" link to the left.

MONTHLY RATES FOR PERSONS TRAINING UNDER

THE SURVIVORS' AND DEPENDENTS' ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

TYPE OF

TRAINING

FULL TIME

THREE-QUARTER

TIME

HALF-TIME

INSTITUTIONAL

$827

$621

$413

LESS THAN HALF TIME

Tuition Cost. Not to Exceed the rate of $413 for Less Than Half Time But More Than One-Quarter Time and

$206.75 for One-Quarter Time.

FARM COOPERATIVE

$667

$500

$334

CORRESPONDENCE

Entitlement Charged at Rate of One Month for each $827 Paid.

APPRENTICESHIP

ON-THE JOB

TRAINING

$650

$507

$366

$151

First 6 months

Second 6 months

Third 6 months

Remainder of Program

SPECIAL RESTORATIVE TRAINING

Accelerated Charges - Cost of Tuition and Fees in Excess of

Entitlement Reduced 1 day for Each

$827

$258

$27.57

(1/30th of Full Time Rate)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Berta