Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Nexus Question

Rate this question

hj232

Question

Here's my story:

Began having symptoms of sleep apnea towards the end of my time on AD. My wife began to complain about snoring, etc. About 1 month before I separated I went to my military primay care physician about this. We talked about it--he said that he was certain I was experiencing obstructive sleep apnea and that I needed to have a study done. He tried to get me an appoint but the soonest was about three months after I was already going to be separated. So that was that.

After getting out I had the study done by a civ provider about six months after separation (I went a primary care physician right after getting out but the earliest I could get a study appt was that long.) Anyway, the diagnosed me having obstructive sleep apnea and needing a CPAP machine. At that time (January 07) I filed for compensation with the VA. With my application I included a letter of one person that served with me that could attest to my sleep issues and one of course from my wife.

Any opinions on whether or not this will suffice for SC nexus?

Thanks!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I emailed the AD doctor yesterday telling him that I needed a letter. That appointment where he tried to get me a sleep study is documented in my SMR, however. Maybe that record will suffice but I'll try to get as much evidence as possible.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

hj232

There is one mention in my 28 year SMR of sleep apnea. Its within a year prior to my retirement and the doctor a ENT doc wrote something like possible sleep apnea given past history and symptoms. My sleep studies were ordered by VA. This claim is not won yet, it was previously denied by the VA due to no evidence of me having sleep apnea............well I have been officialy diagnosed and have a VA issued CPAP machine, I cant see me not geting another 50% for this.

On another note, have you ever had a PFT Pulmonary function test? The VA ordered a PFT on me as part of a C&P and when I had it done the guy who did the PFT looked at the printout and said you have sleep apnea. I was dumbfounded and asked him how he knew this and he said you see this flat spot(he was pointing to computer graph print out) I said yes, he said that tells me you have sleep apnea.

Did you ever have a PFT while in service?

I emailed the AD doctor yesterday telling him that I needed a letter. That appointment where he tried to get me a sleep study is documented in my SMR, however. Maybe that record will suffice but I'll try to get as much evidence as possible.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

hj232

The latest:

I got an email today from the AD doc that originally diagnosed my problems as obstructive sleep apnea. Surprisingly, he remembered me and sent me a copy of my SMR from the day that I saw him when I was still on AD. The SMR for the visit clearly states, "Hx is classic for OSA. Pt wakes in middle of night gasping for air. Spouse complains of loud snoring that is worsening."

He said that this should do the trick for a AD nexus. Based on my limited understanding I agree.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

The latest:

I got an email today from the AD doc that originally diagnosed my problems as obstructive sleep apnea. Surprisingly, he remembered me and sent me a copy of my SMR from the day that I saw him when I was still on AD. The SMR for the visit clearly states, "Hx is classic for OSA. Pt wakes in middle of night gasping for air. Spouse complains of loud snoring that is worsening."

He said that this should do the trick for a AD nexus. Based on my limited understanding I agree.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

ya you win!