Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Nexus Question

Rate this question

hj232

Question

Here's my story:

Began having symptoms of sleep apnea towards the end of my time on AD. My wife began to complain about snoring, etc. About 1 month before I separated I went to my military primay care physician about this. We talked about it--he said that he was certain I was experiencing obstructive sleep apnea and that I needed to have a study done. He tried to get me an appoint but the soonest was about three months after I was already going to be separated. So that was that.

After getting out I had the study done by a civ provider about six months after separation (I went a primary care physician right after getting out but the earliest I could get a study appt was that long.) Anyway, the diagnosed me having obstructive sleep apnea and needing a CPAP machine. At that time (January 07) I filed for compensation with the VA. With my application I included a letter of one person that served with me that could attest to my sleep issues and one of course from my wife.

Any opinions on whether or not this will suffice for SC nexus?

Thanks!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Those statements are called lay statements and the VA usually does not pay them too much regard.

Sometimes they actually look at them but they will want their own opinion.

.The Doctor whom you saw after discharge is the one to help. He can write a Nexus and state the Apnea started during your service and he needs explain his rationale for his opinion.

Contact the Doctor on AD that told you this. It should be in the records. If so and you still have Apnea it should be a slam dunk at 50 percent. ( CPAP machine used)

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

hj232,

Jbasser is correct, you'll need an IMO from a doctor stating that your Sleep Apnea is somehow related to your service. The doctor might want to reference, if this is applicable, that you had symptoms of sleep apnea while in the service too, which may make the argument of service-connection more concrete. The doctor must review your complete SMR's in order to carry any weight!

Vike 17

Should I try to get an IMO from the first doctor I saw after sep from AD--the one that referred me to the neurologist for the sleep study? Or should I actually talk to the neurologist that did the sleep study about this? Should I try to get anything in writing from the AD doctor that I originally complained about the sleep problems to?

I appreciate the advice!

• HadIt.com Elder

Any of the three would suffice. If all three of them would write an IMO, then that would even be better. Just make sure that the doctor states he reviewed your entire SMR's and any private treatment records, and provides a full rational as to how and why they have come to a certain conclusion.

Vike 17

I would shoot for the AD doc. His along with your validated complaints of sleep problems before ETS, continued complaints after service and the current diagnosis should work. I have found it hard to get a doc to state that the service caused or SA occured in service. Don't know why but they just tend to want to say "possibly" and we know what VA does with the word "possibly".

About 1 month before I separated I went to my military primay care physician about this. We talked about it--he said that he was certain I was experiencing obstructive sleep apnea and that I needed to have a study done. He tried to get me an appoint but the soonest was about three months after I was already going to be separated.

There is no mention of this in your SMR, there very well should be if (and I don't doubt u) what you said happened. There should be a request for a referral in your SMR. This would be more than enough Nexus to active duty.

Edited by BETRAYED