Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20 Year Rule And Attempting To Get Voc-rehab

Rate this question

Robert Edward

Question

I am approaching my 20 year mark and I want to "try" to work again. My understanding is that I am protected from a decrease of benefits. My question is can I get VA Voc-Rehab? I will only be 44 years old at my 20 year mark. I have a Bachelors degree and I would seek a Masters or higher. Anyone in the same boat?

Robee

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am not sure how rare it is to get graduate level education approved, but I was approved to pursue my Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy (yep, one of those people Jay despises LOL) of course my undergrad degree was General Ed

I don't despise therapy at all, especially in that context. However, I do not like when therapists/psychologists try to act as if they can cure major psychological disorders with "therapy". There is zero evidence showing that stuff works at that level on a regular basis and I think it does a disservice to those with severe disabilities to suggest otherwise. At best, therapy can help severely disabled vets learn to live with their problems a bit better (like giving morphine to someone with a broken arm).

Therapy for more minor/mainstream issues can be very helpful though; it can even be helpful for those who live with people with severe PTSD. Sometimes people need a third party that can help them sift through their daily problems.

I didn't know there was any eductation higher than a doctorate in a certain field!?!? I'm not saying the VocRehab folks don't approve some veterans for post graduate studdies, it just isn't the norm, but rather the exception. I say that it is rare because when you take the number of applicants as a whole and see just how many from them have been approved for post graduate studdies, it certainly isn't the norm.

Vike 17

A lot of fields have post-doctorate work that can be done, but there is no official degree beyond the initial doctorate (outside of getting more doctorates in other fields). Honestly though, I would tend to agree with your assessment....in the government's eyes, you should be capable of paying for your own grad work if you have a bach already. Pell grants, and most other government aid, is limited to one bach. In fact, WA just passed a new law that allows 100% vets, and their dependents, to go to school completely free for your first bach degree...anything beyond that is on the vet to pay (outside of the ch 35 ben).

I don't despise therapy at all, especially in that context. However, I do not like when therapists/psychologists try to act as if they can cure major psychological disorders with "therapy". There is zero evidence showing that stuff works at that level on a regular basis and I think it does a disservice to those with severe disabilities to suggest otherwise. At best, therapy can help severely disabled vets learn to live with their problems a bit better (like giving morphine to someone with a broken arm).

Therapy for more minor/mainstream issues can be very helpful though; it can even be helpful for those who live with people with severe PTSD. Sometimes people need a third party that can help them sift through their daily problems.

I was taught that we were thereto help people learn to cope, not to cure.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

I was taught that we were thereto help people learn to cope, not to cure.

Read the most recent notes from the senate hearing on PTSD in which the psychiatrist made it sound as if cognitive behavioral therapy could "cure" PTSD and that 100% PTSD vets should go to work to get better. Many, many psychs think "therapy" can cure mental disorders. If you don't buy into that, which you shouldn't, then you could make a good therapist:-)

Read the most recent notes from the senate hearing on PTSD in which the psychiatrist made it sound as if cognitive behavioral therapy could "cure" PTSD and that 100% PTSD vets should go to work to get better. Many, many psychs think "therapy" can cure mental disorders. If you don't buy into that, which you shouldn't, then you could make a good therapist:-)

I did read that testimony, and my reaction to that was the same as it was when that it was a load of crap. CBT may help the person who suffers from PTSD use more constructive behaviors, but it will not cure PTSD. Again, it is a means to help the patient learn to cope with the thoughts and the consequences of those thoughts. The real goal is to get the patient to recognize when the thoughts are coming on and to find a way to redirect to lessen the severity. Again, not a cure, but a coping skill.

To let everyone know how backwards some of these professional mind doctors can be, while I was working on my degree, I had to read a lot, and I mean A LOT of studies. One I remember quite well showed that there is a link between physical disabilities and depression. My first reaction after reading the study was DUH!!!, followed by being totally pissed off that these geniuses mose likely got government money to conduct a study that anyone with half a brain could have predicted the resluts for. This was not an older study but one that was conducted in the last five years.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

I did read that testimony, and my reaction to that was the same as it was when that it was a load of crap. CBT may help the person who suffers from PTSD use more constructive behaviors, but it will not cure PTSD. Again, it is a means to help the patient learn to cope with the thoughts and the consequences of those thoughts. The real goal is to get the patient to recognize when the thoughts are coming on and to find a way to redirect to lessen the severity. Again, not a cure, but a coping skill.

To let everyone know how backwards some of these professional mind doctors can be, while I was working on my degree, I had to read a lot, and I mean A LOT of studies. One I remember quite well showed that there is a link between physical disabilities and depression. My first reaction after reading the study was DUH!!!, followed by being totally pissed off that these geniuses mose likely got government money to conduct a study that anyone with half a brain could have predicted the resluts for. This was not an older study but one that was conducted in the last five years.

I couldn't agree with you more.

When I was in school I had to study a lot of that psycho-babble too.

My conclusion= they are just grasping at straws in an effort to GRAB more money. MY MONEY (and yours). Those "doctors" are no doubt in bed with the pharmacutical companys to invent more drugs (which I, and my freinds, have been offered) to make more money! What a scam!

Information is POWER.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

-Benjamin Franklin