Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20 Year Rule And Attempting To Get Voc-rehab

Rate this question

Robert Edward

Question

I am approaching my 20 year mark and I want to "try" to work again. My understanding is that I am protected from a decrease of benefits. My question is can I get VA Voc-Rehab? I will only be 44 years old at my 20 year mark. I have a Bachelors degree and I would seek a Masters or higher. Anyone in the same boat?

Robee

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Who wants to hire a person with a 20 year blank in their employment history? Most degrees are just entry level devices to get you into the job market. The employer is going to want to know where you have been for the last 20 years. You would have a better chance if you had been in prison than mentally disabled for 20 years. Perhaps if you become self-employed. That is something I think would be good for all disabled vets. I can go back to work with a protected rating when I am 71 years old. I can hardly wait.

(sigh)..

OK we've gotten off the beaten path here. Vike answered the question, and I tend to agree with his assessment. Basically to qualify for Voc Rehab you have to be able to demonstrate that the course or degree you are pursuing would allow you a greater possibility of getting back into the labor force ... period. Social Security does it as well, with their Voc Rehab program, and Ticket to Work...

Also while the veteran may NOT qualify for Voc Rehab, they may qualify for ILS... Idependent Living Services, and one of the things they CAN (not will CAN) offer is online courses to help the veteran stay mentally alert etc.

Again I tend to agree with Vike, if the vet has been disabled for 20 years, the voc rehab person is going to be hard pressed to justify enrolling them into the program.