Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20 Year Rule And Attempting To Get Voc-rehab

Rate this question

Robert Edward

Question

I am approaching my 20 year mark and I want to "try" to work again. My understanding is that I am protected from a decrease of benefits. My question is can I get VA Voc-Rehab? I will only be 44 years old at my 20 year mark. I have a Bachelors degree and I would seek a Masters or higher. Anyone in the same boat?

Robee

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Robert,

You don't really need to go through VocRehab to "try" and work again; especially if you already have a Bachelor's Degree.

You can certainly apply for VocRehab, but the chances are since you already have a BA or BS, they will deny the claim. It very rarely happens that the VocRehab people approve post graduate programs such as a Master's or Doctorate. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened before, but it's just really, really rare.

On a side note, by your post I assume you're receiving IU or 100% due to a mental disability, correct? If you're IU and start working after the 20 years has past, the VA couldn't reduce the IU award regardless if you had VocRehab or not.

There are veterans that receive IU and somehow get to the 20 year mark and then are miraciously able to start working again shortly afterwards. This does make one wonder sometimes. I'm not saying this is the case with you by any means. Just something to think about as far as what IU is for and what it means.

Vike 17

There are veterans that receive IU and somehow get to the 20 year mark and then are miraciously able to start working again shortly afterwards. This does make one wonder sometimes. I'm not saying this is the case with you by any means. Just something to think about as far as what IU is for and what it means.

Vike 17

There's a simple explanation for this and the VA could save $ if they would just use some common sense. There's a HUGE difference, for those with mental disorders, between working because you HAVE to and working because you WANT to. Money is the #1 stressor for all of us, regardless of our mental state, and most folks with anxiety issues (IE - PTSD) have BIG issues with authority and feeling "trapped", both of which are negated if you are only working because you "want" to work, because you always have the option of leaving.

If the VA would just lock folks in (just like the 20 year thing), but after, say, 5 years (or when P&T is determined) then folks with PTSD should be able to work, but have their VA compensation reduced by the amount they are earning (net of course). This way, PTSD folks can attempt to work, but without the pressure of "needing" the job and/or money, which alleviates the majority of issues they have with working in the first place.

But to do that the VA would have to accept that 100% disabled PTSD vets almost never get better (to a point of gainful employment at least), but I think they are still influenced by the idiots that think a good talking to can cure a 100% PTSD vet!

A program of this sort would save the VA money and improve the quality of life for many PTSD veterans......

It is not about the meaning of IU, it is about the 20 year protection. Also, if we make IU income based, all benefits will become income based. Why would we want to mess with that?

It is not rare for the VA to send a veteran for an education higher than a doctorate. I see these request granted often. The only kicker is that the vetean must display he needed the additional education to overcome the restrictions imposed by his disability.

Robert,

You don't really need to go through VocRehab to "try" and work again; especially if you already have a Bachelor's Degree.

You can certainly apply for VocRehab, but the chances are since you already have a BA or BS, they will deny the claim. It very rarely happens that the VocRehab people approve post graduate programs such as a Master's or Doctorate. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened before, but it's just really, really rare.

On a side note, by your post I assume you're receiving IU or 100% due to a mental disability, correct? If you're IU and start working after the 20 years has past, the VA couldn't reduce the IU award regardless if you had VocRehab or not.

Vike 17

I am not sure how rare it is to get graduate level education approved, but I was approved to pursue my Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy (yep, one of those people Jay despises LOL) of course my undergrad degree was General Ed

• HadIt.com Elder

"It is not about the meaning of IU, it is about the 20 year protection"

Sure the IU is protected after 20 years, but for those on it that all of a sudden are able to work right after the 20 years has elapse, it sure makes one wonder about their ability to have been able to work prior to the 20 years passing.

I'm not talking about the veteran that has received IU for say 25 years and is able to do some type of light or part-time work, I'm talking about that veteran that has received IU and one or two months after the rating is protected, he/she is all of a sudden able to hold down a 40 hour a week full time position!

"It is not rare for the VA to send a veteran for an education higher than a doctorate. I see these request granted often. The only kicker is that the vetean must display he needed the additional education to overcome the restrictions imposed by his disability."

I have also seen VocRehab approvals for post graduate studies. However, as you said, the veteran needed to show that in order to be fully "rehabilitated" for employment purposes in that particular field they choses as a career path, a Master's degree (in this case) was needed.

I didn't know there was any eductation higher than a doctorate in a certain field!?!? I'm not saying the VocRehab folks don't approve some veterans for post graduate studdies, it just isn't the norm, but rather the exception. I say that it is rare because when you take the number of applicants as a whole and see just how many from them have been approved for post graduate studdies, it certainly isn't the norm.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17