VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

Johnny K.

Question

I saw a "contract" Psychiatrist at VAMC C&P hearing for a non-combat PTSD Claim. He denied service connection but conceded my PTSD.

I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman attached to the 3rd MARDIV during Vietnam and was an Emergency Medical Technician at USMC Base, Camp Pendleton, after rotating home, for a period of about two years. VA has accepted my stressors but has denied my claim.

I just received notification for a DRO hearing on September, 12, 2007.

I have a representative from American Legion who is helping me and will accompany me to hearings.

I have four private Doctor opinions and one VA Staff Psychiatrist opinion which support my claim, and I attend VA group meetings twice a month for PTSD.

Please give me your opinions on what I can expect at the hearingand what else I can provide the DRO besides all of the records which I mentioned above.

Thanks, and Welcome Home!

post-2287-1185651647_thumb.jpg

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Doc-I would bring ANYTHING you have - to include these notes- to the hearing-

any Vet Center documentation- any stress group participate-bring the whole 9 yards-

even if you already submitted some of it to the VA-

I also suggest if you can to bring someone with you who can hold your folders as the hearing progresses-

it pays to put stuff into manila folders and tab it all and then have a list of the folders and what they contain-

that way you can whip out a piece of evidence in a heartbeat and then as the hearing closes you can make sure that all of your evidence is documented into the record with that list by reading it as well as giving the DRO a copy of the list.

BTW-the DRO job description is at:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:3nC0w...us&ie=UTF-8

The DRO most likely is a disabled vet themselves and he or she hopefully will stay on track and any rep you have with you should also strongly support the evidence you have.

Rocky,

We may have been 2/4 at the same time. I remember another corpsman we called "Rocky". Brown hair as I recall.

Sorry to hear you're getting jerked around.

I would like to hear from you and others about the results of getting your Congressman involved.

My Am Legion Rep has advised against it.

The Marines called me "Doc Holiday" because I was always so well prepared in the field.

Johnny K.

Dear Berta,

You are a treasure!!

Thank you for the ideas about keeping folders and bringing along someone (my dear wife) to help me juggle it all. I am going to read the job description of the DRO.

My Am Legion Rep says she is one who is quick to deny PTSD claims, but I will not know until it is over.

Have you ever been to Saluda,Virginia?

Doc Johnny K.

Doc!

Sorry if you got the impression that I had been a Corpsman, but I wasn't. I was platoon sergeant for the 1st PLT, Echo 2/4 "The Magnificent Bastards". I was a SSgt USMC, not Navy. You may recall this as I filed a claim over chloracne that was denied. At that time a whole bunch of us were clawing our arms and shoulders to pieces and they said it was too much chlorine in the water in OK. We had to seep with white gloves to keep from gashing ourselves from the itching, could not use soap at all. I think for a month or so we had to wash with mineral oil (no water at all) and take I think it was Atrax tabs. They were small little square pills and kind of blackish looking.

I was treated several times and my SMR showed the sickbay records diagnosing chloracne and severe rash over entire body as did the other Marines.

I got rated by the DRO at 0% for my service connected PTSD. What is the next step?

Thanks,

Doc Johnny K.

Johnny sorry about the hassles, but I would contact the DAV, that is all that they do and have them review your case. I am a strong believer of using the DAV.

Best of luck

Edited by SSGMike.Ivy