Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Phony Iraq Vet

Rate this question

Berta

Question

a local vet almost slipped running up my deck to give me the Army Times- July 30, 2007

On the cover is a picture of Richard McClanahan in full uniform and highly decorated- after 2 tours in Iraq- and one tour in Afganistan.

The US Distrcit Court in Norther District of Texas has charges against McClanahan of bank fraud, felony,

and two misdemeanor counts of falsely claiming military honors he did not receive-

he claimed receipt of 3 Silver Stars, 3 Purple Hearts, and also the MOH (Medal of Honor)

I guess the full story is at Army Times on line-

The article- "Chest of Lies" brings up other instances of deceit by wannabees caught by the FBI-

it pays to check into the vets we help if we feel something isnt right-

This guy took a less than honorable discharge-in lieu of a court martial-

Read those DD 214s- and if you get a widows claim-

make sure you check them out good too-

I had 3 widow wannabees in the past year or so- no one here of course- but referred via other sources. One I reported to the VA recently -has committed potential fraud.

and wanna bee vets- had some of them too---

these people are an utter disgrace.

A Red flag for me is anyone who wants service connection yet will produce excuse after excuse for why they cannot obtain the evidence that VA needs.

Yet will repeat over and over again their "story" without being willing to prove it has any merit.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I think the phony widows should be national news too.

I am still angry at the time I wasted on one of them recently.

These phonys take up not only VA's time but also the time of veterans advocates.

Everyone who helps a vet or widow with their claim should check out their story Real good.

We had two major phonys here in the past but they are long gone and are probably trying to sell their baloney to other vet sites.

These phonys are the reason why I NEVER give out my phone number to anyone who has claims questions anymore.

But isn't this treating every veteran as if they are lying before they even get started in the compensation process; moreover, isn't that exactly what the VA wants from the general public....to call everyone's service into question?

I understand the basic need to confirm military service, but, as Pete said, you can simply do that with a DD 214 (though those can probably be faked).

The same sort of hysteria is brought into many debates in which the government is trying to overemphasize and very small minority of cases.......how many cases from NO did we see about people frauding the government out of money??? Yet, how many people in NO got no help at all because of the government's inept handling of the crisis (some even died as a result)?

It's only fair when there is a proportional representation and I don't see that at the moment....one can walk into any RO in the country and see dozens of low-balled and falsely denied claims for compensation and NONE of them ever make any real news (or rarely do, as was the case of the vet that tbird recently posted), but if ONE vet gets caught lying it's major news across the nation, which makes it seem as if frauds are the norm in the VA system, which we all know is far from the truth.

I guess it's just me, but I think the system doesn't even allow for real veterans to get benefits in many cases, so I have confidence that the fake ones will not be getting any money any time soon, so, to me, it's not a story at all.

Edited by Jay Johnson

Berta,

I read that article about that shamer. It made me sick. Because the general public really don't know or understand military awards, espically for heriosm they don't question when a fraud appears.

I am glad that the FBI has a group that deals with this. I am alos glad that Vet's when they see it don't let it stand!!

They are almost at the level of pedifiles...

Jay- This info is public and all over the net-

I also post here when the IG catches a VARO employee-

http://www.va.gov/oig/publications/news-list.asp

as you can see there are VA employees as well as "veterans" committing fraud and other illegal acts-at the IG web site under Investigations.

They do all get caught.

I abide by what the moderators and TBird says can be posted or not.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta,

I'm not upset at you for posting it at all, but it does seem to be a bit of a double edged sword that gets more press than when the VA screws a veteran.

Like you, I look around for stories on vets and I see far more negative stories like fraud, or a veteran going "postal" at a VA hospital/clinic than I see of veteran friendly stories that put the VA in the same light. Even in that post that Tbird linked about the veteran who got denied in Reno......the story had to be prefaced by a "pro" VA subject like the average amount per year awarded to veterans in nevada. It's as if the media cannot separate the VA from the veteran in most cases and they feel that attacking the VA is analagous to attacking a veteran (which we know isn't true).

So, don't feel bad; I just wish the veterans who get screwed by the VA got as much press......

Personally, I wouldn't post that stuff because I have confidence that the system will handle the matter. Conversely, I know the system will not take care of the raters that routinely low-ball and deny legitimate claims for deserving veterans, so those stories need to be told in order to fix the process. Talking about a veteran that has committed fraud doesn't do anything but make good veterans look bad....but that's just my opinion based on a society that punishes the many for the actions of the few.....