• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

No by no ,means-

In the recent IOM report (there is link to it here)

there was a suggestion of HBP and an AO association-

that's all-

this would have to go a long way to become presumptive but then again that presumptive list has grown over the years.

Some of the electronic vets community seems to have jumped on this report like it is fact-HBP is NOT and might never be presumptive.

I feel anyone who was exposed to AO should raise the AO issue as cause of the HBP BUT not as the main part of the claim. This way if HBP is ever SCed to AO- the veteran could get potential retro for HBP back to the claim date in which they stated AO as possibly cause.

HBP - supported by medical evidence showing it as secondary to another SC condition- is the main way vets get HBP service connected today-unless their SMRs clearly show high HBP readings in service and they have strong medical statement to support the nexus.

According to the info that I received from my VSO at the Chicago VARO there is an activity within the VA on the hypertension front with regards to assigning it as a presumptive condition of AO.

This is a very, very early development and it IS being discussed at the higher levels so it is at least confirmed to me that the subject is being addressed within the VA at the present time.

His advice was to watch it closely as it may just occur, but, as in all things governmental...get out the fishin pole and wait.

AFRet

That sounds good-

I read the new IMO report re: HBP -and the phrase "suggested but limited" started to remind me of something.

I just read the 2000 IMO report on diabetes mellitus and AO- and the IMO wording was the same :"suggested but limited" and this info was instrumental in getting DMII on the AO presumptive list-when Hershel Gober was the acting Sec. followed by Principi- who I believed signed the final order to include DMII on the AO list.

This would be incredible news-

There are studies on the net of the incidence in the Vietnamese of HBP such as:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1...journalCode=nhs

Vietnemese often cook with salt and Nuc Mam is very salty (but it takes very little nuc mam to make a dish tasty) it might well be that the Vietnamese are not really using that much salt as Americans do.

It should certainly be considered whether the Vietnamese populstion has a high incidence of HBP as well as Vietnam vets- but then again this is difficult data to collect.

Not to ,mention the long list of health problems that the Vietnamese already attribute to Agent Orange.