Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Healyh Evaluation

Rate this question

MUDMAN

Question

JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF YOUR ALREADY RATED 50% PTSD AND YOU COMPLAINE OF MEMORY LOSS TO YOUR VA DOC AND HE WANTS TO ORDER A PHSYCOLOGICAL EVALUATION AND IT COMES BACK AND SAYS YOU SUFFER SOMETHING LIKE AADD OR SOMETHING ELSE HOW MUCH COULD THIS HURT YOUR BENEFITS AND COULD THEY TAKE YOUR REFUSING TO TAKE THESE TESTS AS PROFF OF NOT COMPLYING WITH YOUR MEDICAL TREATMENT :huh:

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

They are all rated under the same lump group, so more mental disorders can really only help your case (provided a C&P doesn't also show a decrease in the severity of your PTSD). The only real draw back to memory loss is incompetency which can mean the VA appoints a fiduciary to handle your finances (or at least evaluates you for one). Fiduciary program = the devil, so stay away from that if you can:-)

Other than that, don't worry about it...memory loss and other such issues can all be linked to PTSD anyway and may show a worsening of your overall symptoms for PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mr. MUDMAN, you are the one that complained to your Primary Care Physician about memory loss, yes?

And, he must send you to the psych team for evaluation, if you are ever going to get any help with your memory loss.

Keeping this in mind, why would you not go to your appointment?

It will not be detrimental to your % of comp. Fact is, if it is due to your SC'd condition, then it will add to your %, or should.

Having said all that, how old are you?

If, say, 50 or older, I'd go back to my Primary Care Doc and ask him if he could have the lab run a "Bioavailable Testosterone" profile.

If it is "low", indicating a low level of available testosterone, then THIS could be your memory loss problem. In which case he will schedule you for a consult with an Endocronologist.

I'm not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last year.

I also have a low natural testosterone level........ :huh:

Jay,

Won't the VA just let your spouse handle your VA finances if you get into the fiduciary program? I don't have memory loss but have severe bipolar disorder which means I am often out of it with either depression or mania. However, both the C&P examiner and my IMO doc say I'm able to handle my affairs so at this point don't think it's a concern but am curious why you stated that the fudicary program = the devil.

Please clarify.

Thanks,

TS

TS,

There are a few problems with the fiduciary program, the biggest of which is a constant review of your claim that can be used against you. Here are my issues with it:

1) It leaves you with very little say over your own finances and once you're in the program it's damn near impossible to get control of your finances again.......what if you divorce down the road? What if your spouse passes away? It can become a huge pain in that respect.

2) Your spouse (or whomever takes control of the money) has to report to the VA regularly and there's a lot of paperwork/regulations on how the fiduciary you appoint can handle the money. It can be a huge inconvenience.

3) The VA severely limits what YOU can do with your own money once a fiduciary is appointed. This means you cannot invest your own money, nor can you really spend anything outside of living expenses. Also, every purchase over a certain dollar amount must be approved by the VA, so if you want a new plasma TV your wife would have to request permission from the VA to do so (it's a certain dollar amount...like 1K I think..or was at least).

4) If you're found to be P&T, the fiduciary folks can reopen your case by providing "new and material evidence" because they routinely check in on you and give assessments of your condition to "evaluate" your continued need of the program. So, some guy with NO training in mental disorders can report that "you appear to be doing very well" which can prompt the RO to reduce your rating because it's technically new and material evidence.

The spirit of the program was well intended, but, as with most governmental programs, it has grown into an all encompassing paper work nightmare that really only serves to hurt most veterans. The original intent of the program was to protect vets against spouses/loved ones who were taking advantage of their mental state and stealing their money; as well as, veterans with manic disorders who have issues with gambling and the like (common in bipolar cases). But, today, they just blanket anyone with a severe mental disorder and "assume" that anyone rated at a high level with PTSD is unable to handle their own finances. They also use the program to spy on vets in my opinion.....

But maybe I'm just paranoid.....:-)

Jay,

Thanks for your insight. Makes me glad that both the C&P examiner and my shrink (who wrote an IMO in support of my NOD to go from 50% to 70% and get evaluated for 100% IU, Perm & Total) both said I could handle my finances.

Thanks,

TS