Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Disabilities Usually Compounded?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it usual for the VA to put two mental health issues into one compensation rating? Also, could a CUE work if I have an old VA claim response "denied for acquired pysch disorder" (not my words, theirs, way back when? I have data that supports coverage of that time period, a current diagnosis. thanks so much,cg

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

many people with mental health issues have "compounded" issues myself I have PTSD and OCD others have different problems, they combine them as to rate them seperately would be pyramiding which they don't do. they usually rate at the highest level of the worst issue

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

I am rated 50% for "bipolar with depression" which IMO is redundant since bipolar, by definition, includes depression. The only thing I can figure is that the shrink who treated me in the Army said he remembered treating me for depression and the shrink I saw for years gave a bipolar diagnosis which is also what my current shrink diagnoses.

The VA completely ignored my active duty shrink letters in the first go round with them because I hadn't been seen in the Nat'l Guard. The fact that I had never claimed to have been treated while in the NG seemed lost on them and it was only at the DRO level that they evaluated the letters from my Army treatment and then only AFTER they verified that the shrinks had really been on the same post as I had at the time frame I was treated on active duty so - if part of your claim rests on buddy or medical officers' letters, make sure and include their identifying information (SSN, DOB) so the VA can verify that they were in the military when you were in the same unit.

Good luck with your claim. Keep us posted on how it plays out.

TS

Keep in mind that if *any* new evidence was given to the RO to strengthen your case since your original denial you would have a very weak case for a CUE, because you are arguing the evidence/laws from THAT claim and not any new evidence.....

When you get into "weight" of evidence you're almost certainly going to lose a CUE; now if you asked them to review your military records and stated that you had evidence from your service time and they ignored the request, then you may have something to base a CUE on......