VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent.

Rate this question

martin

Question

hello everyone, its been a while since i posted anything, so here goes.in regards to dependents, i know that i can claim 1 or both of MY parents if they live with me as i am over 30%, BUT the big question is,when my father inlaw has to move in with me and my wife, (as he is not a disabled vet, but he is disabled to the point where he cant secure any gainful employment,) can i claim hime through the V.A. as a dependent? he's been waiting forever for social security, but no word yet. (i have been paying all of his rent, utilities, etc.. for several months)i cant afford to keep doing this...Martin

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Martin:

Good to see you back. I don't know the answer but I think that you should apply. Don't forget A&A also.

Pete

hello everyone, its been a while since i posted anything, so here goes.in regards to dependents, i know that i can claim 1 or both of MY parents if they live with me as i am over 30%, BUT the big question is,when my father inlaw has to move in with me and my wife, (as he is not a disabled vet, but he is disabled to the point where he cant secure any gainful employment,) can i claim hime through the V.A. as a dependent? he's been waiting forever for social security, but no word yet. (i have been paying all of his rent, utilities, etc.. for several months)i cant afford to keep doing this...Martin

Martin :

Unfortunatly no. 38 CFR § 3.59 Parent states (a) The term parent means a natural mother or father (including the mother of an illegitimate child or the father of an illegitimate child if the usual family relationship existed), mother or father through adoption, or a person who for a period of not less than 1 year stood in the relationship of a parent to a veteran at any time before his or her entry into active service. (:rolleyes: Foster relationship must have begun prior to the veteran's 21st birthday. Not more than one father and one mother, as defined, will be recognized in any case. If two persons stood in the relationship of father or mother for 1 year or more, the person who last stood in such relationship before the veteran's last entry into active service will be recognized as the parent.

Big Papa

p.s. some how the cool.gif got stuck where it indicates paragraph (B)

Edited by Big Papa