• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
martin

Dependent.

Question

hello everyone, its been a while since i posted anything, so here goes.in regards to dependents, i know that i can claim 1 or both of MY parents if they live with me as i am over 30%, BUT the big question is,when my father inlaw has to move in with me and my wife, (as he is not a disabled vet, but he is disabled to the point where he cant secure any gainful employment,) can i claim hime through the V.A. as a dependent? he's been waiting forever for social security, but no word yet. (i have been paying all of his rent, utilities, etc.. for several months)i cant afford to keep doing this...Martin

3 answers to this question

Martin:

Good to see you back. I don't know the answer but I think that you should apply. Don't forget A&A also.

Pete

hello everyone, its been a while since i posted anything, so here goes.in regards to dependents, i know that i can claim 1 or both of MY parents if they live with me as i am over 30%, BUT the big question is,when my father inlaw has to move in with me and my wife, (as he is not a disabled vet, but he is disabled to the point where he cant secure any gainful employment,) can i claim hime through the V.A. as a dependent? he's been waiting forever for social security, but no word yet. (i have been paying all of his rent, utilities, etc.. for several months)i cant afford to keep doing this...Martin

Martin :

Unfortunatly no. 38 CFR § 3.59 Parent states (a) The term parent means a natural mother or father (including the mother of an illegitimate child or the father of an illegitimate child if the usual family relationship existed), mother or father through adoption, or a person who for a period of not less than 1 year stood in the relationship of a parent to a veteran at any time before his or her entry into active service. (:rolleyes: Foster relationship must have begun prior to the veteran's 21st birthday. Not more than one father and one mother, as defined, will be recognized in any case. If two persons stood in the relationship of father or mother for 1 year or more, the person who last stood in such relationship before the veteran's last entry into active service will be recognized as the parent.

Big Papa

p.s. some how the cool.gif got stuck where it indicates paragraph (B)

Edited by Big Papa

okee dokee, thanks for the feed back pete,and big papa...martin