Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

On The Verge Of Possible Homelessness

Rate this question

abnpayne

Question

Hello Hadit family. I've been monitoring the site for some time and this is my first post. It will be lengthy and I apologize in advance. I need some therapy so I thank you for allowing the post.

I was an Infantryman 11B. I am an OIF vet medically separated in Jan 05 for back pain due to scoliosis.

Two years before my deployment with the 4th ID, the spring of 02, I was diagnosed at Walter Reed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression "other than categorized." Walter Reed was my local medical facility because I was stationed in the Military District of Washington, and was serving in "The Old Guard" executing ceremonies in the Capitol Region and full honors funerals in Arlington Natl Cemetery. While in there in 3D INF my mid back and left rib pain began fall 02 during training for EIB testing. I grunted it out, earned my EIB then later visited sick call at the unit aid station a few times and was given the old take motrin, drink water, drive on treatment. I also fell in the barracks and injured some of the small bones in my right wrist. After visiting off and on for nearly two months, an xray and mri of my wrist was finally ordered. Surprise, there was a fracture and a bone fragment floating around in there. So I grunt these things out for a full year and PCS to 3d BDE 4ID, Fort Carson, CO.

11/03. The unit I was to be assigned A CO 1/8 INF to was already in Iraq and I was going to be deployed with one of the last groups of replacements. I was left with a difficult decision of alerting my new command of my back problem which continued to worsen and looking like a coward, or deploying and possibly becoming a liability to my squad in the event of having to carry an injured squadmember, my back going out and needing help myself. So I decided to give Ft Carson's medical staff a try for a diagnosis, after the drink water take motrin/drive on treatment in Ft Myer. The result was a diagnosis of thoraculumbar scoliosis(mid-back and neck). I was given a P3 profile and had to inform the rear detachment chain of command. The officer of the day's response was, "Can he hold a rifle? Then he's F'n going! Honestly I wanted to go, just prayed my back would hold up. Days later I report to my 1SGt in theater at Camp Paliwada(East Balad, Iraq)with a P3 and become a M-249 Sawgunner :rolleyes: We do the Infantry thing and after a couple months redeploy. Back home the back pain increases I seek further remedy, the Docs tell me he Officer of the Day by reg should have sent me. Ten months later I am Medically Separated at 0%, Jan 05 four months before the end of my 4 year enlistment. Oh yeah, the Carson hospital had a CHIROPRACTOR!

On the The VA.

After separation I have been desperately struggle try to readjust and better myself. Back pain and anxiety have overtaken my existence with brief and cherished lapses. Once the $13k separation pay and unemployment ran out the troubles intensify.

My VA interaction is as follows. Decided 30Nov05

-SC 10% Degenerative Joint Disease bilateral knees

-SC 0% Bilateral plantar fasciitis

-SC 10% for scoliosis lumbar spine (my pain and curvature does not inhibit my range of motion much)

-SC 10% for Dysthymia "(also claimed as anxiety disorder)" this frustrated me greatly that the examiner changed a diagnosis of three years treated by different psychologists to a mood disorder the simply means, extended period of depression.

I also made a HUGE mistake by stating if felt "much better"

My claims for pes planus, acne, and avulsion injury to right wrist were denied.

I failed to appeal due to hopes that things would simply get better and I was just stressed about moving and readjusting to civilian life. I never thought that I would come have to rely on the VA for sustenance.

Where I am today...

Since my separation, I have only been holding jobs for three months at best before insomnia, anxiety, or confusion drives me to resign or face termination. I now face difficulty finding employment due to lack of stability in my resume, on which I omit ALOT of jobs. Being former Infantry also limits my scope of civilian sector skills. I nearly started with the Dept of Corrections as a last resort this week, but was strongly advised not to by my VA psychologist. Last year my annual income was under $9000

I'll follow up tomorrow, sleep meds and pain killers finally taking effect..... Matthew

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

abnpayne catchy screen name.

"I never thought that I would come have to rely on the VA for sustenance."

I think the only way your gonna get that is as a crapy hospital meal as a inpatient, I know its the only way I got it.

I think your in for a long hard march. Any chance you could get a PTSD diagnosis?

Brother I feel for you as I have been where you are and where you are going and it aint easy.

Sorry I cant give you any advice or help. Just dont give up!

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

With the 4 service connected conditions- since you did not file a NOD on this -the year appeals period has passed.

You can re-open any of these issues with new and material evidence that shows the ratings should be higher.

"I nearly started with the Dept of Corrections as a last resort this week, but was strongly advised not to by my VA psychologist."

If this psychologist makes a statement to the affect that your dysthemia/anxiety disorder affects your employment and gives a strong medical rationale for that-the VA could consider you for higher rating for this condition.

That statement would be new and material and they would re-open the anxiety claim.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. You are not alone and you can find help here. If you are close to homeless the VA does have some programs to help. Don't give up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks for the good wishes and responses.

The diagnosis of GAD and depression were made and treated on active duty about two years before my short combat tour. The VA C&P Examiner compounded them into Dysthmia at the 10% rating. The only info used at my C&P examination was my active duty medical records. After visiting the VA for continued, my psychologist later diagnosed me with GAD.

Due to the anxiety/PTSD problems (tension,sweating,on guard,irritable) I have experienced at retail jobs, shopping and out in public areas has impeded my religious practices, I don't feel comfortable in church. I wonder how I will feel going back to College in Oct? I guess I'm conducting my own social experiment on myself.

Last week I was evaluated (never evaluated before)and given the additional diagnosis of PTSD. One of the social workers at the PTSD "center" told me that having a previously diagnosed anxiety problem increases your chances of developing PTSD after combat. I have only been employed 14 of the last 29 months since separation. 8+ jobs, only 2 above the $18k annual benchmark.

Could this evidence, along with a record of work history, and buddy statements, become retroactive (at whatever % is warranted) back to my separation date over two years ago? I know it takes time to process.

I would have filed for TDIU long ago, but I have not met the scheduled requirement. The nearest facility to me is 60 miles and I can't afford to visit for counseling weekly right now. My mother, 65, has been paying the bulk of my living expenses, as I work sporadicly and sell off my material things. My parents live out of state, Denver. I am 26yo and single. I am applying for food stamps and section 8 housing tomorrow, If I am functioning during normal hours.

What I am trying to accomplish, with your help and guidance it to gain a rating that would enable me to supplement working part-time/flexibly and get the therapy/treatment I need to function "normally". Isn't that the purpose of TDIU?

btw...My SO is the GA Dept of Veteran Services

Edited by abnpayne

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you are already inside the door with a small rating it does not match your symptoms. It should not be that difficult to be upgraded to the proper rating. If you have filed a claim to look at your current ratings when you have a C&P exam you should be sure and tell the examiner that you have not been working and have had to rely on your Mom for your support. I had to do the same once when I was 48 and believe me it hurt me but it was a gift and my Mom and I ended up much closer.

I think that you should fill out the TDIU Form and attach it to your claim.

Good Luck

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

no they will not go back to 2 years ago if you did not file a request for a higher rating before this, the effective date will be the month you filed the claim for TDIU by the way TDIU is not for the purpose of retraining you for another job, if you CAN work then you are not totally disabled Individual Unemployable (TDIU) if it is assistance you need for training and tech school or college then you need to file for Chapter 31 assistance the pay isn't great, which ever route you take nothing at the VA works fast, for temporary help the catholica Social services will help with rent, utilites, they have a great food pantry (best in town) and don't make you feel bad for asking, they are my favorite charity for use and donations they helped my wife and I a lot back in 2002/2003 if you tell the VARO it is a soon to be homeless issue they may speed the process up, no guarantees

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."