• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Schlorships For Children Of 100% Vets

Rate this question

Bound4heaven

Question

Greetings,

I have 2 questions:

1)My daughter has decide to go out of state for college next fall. However if she went in state everything would be covered. She can get chapter 35 bennies at $884.00 per month. Is that check paid to her or the school?

2) Does anyone know of any scholoships for 100% vets? Thank you and God bless you all.

Bound4Heaven

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm not sure on kids, but my wife's CH 35 benefits are paid directly to me via a monthly check (they won't direct deposit).

As for scholarships: I'm not aware of any 100% vet only scholarships, but many states have tuition benefits for college.....my state, WA, just recently passed a law making college 100% free(just tuition mind you) for your first BA (plus you still collect CH 35).

Depending on what your family earns, you may qualify for a pell grant though......try applying here. Good luck!

Chapter 35 benefits were paid via check directly to the student during the month following the month they covered. In our case, the student was our daughter, and the monthly check would be in her name, not her father's, who is the veteran.

• HadIt.com Elder

my son has 2 choices he can go to any college in South carolina he wants to as long as it is a state college not private, they pay his tuition all we have to pay is books he can stay at his mothers house in Harlem Ga and drive to USC Aiken or he can move to Columbia and go anywhere up here then there is always the Citadel I believe in choice but my money is near and dear to me they always have the options of the military academies and get paid to go to college

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

my son has 2 choices he can go to any college in South carolina he wants to as long as it is a state college not private, they pay his tuition

Why ? My son is moving from Virginia to Columbia, he will be a full time student. This semester grants payed all his tuition and he pockets his va benefits

(He did 4 years active earned his own montgomery GI Bill I beleive, I dont know as I come under the Viet Nam Era benefits which are different from what the kids get these days).

Since I am 100% P&T is there something available in SC for my kid?

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

Jim-sounds like my daughter- she paid for GI Bill and also has Chapter 35 benefits.

She almost has her Bachelors and paid for that herself hoping to use Chap 35 for the Masters and the GI Bill for doctorate- (or maybe the other way around)

She has to watch the delimiting dates- her Chap 35 was extended by 7 years military service-

at first the VA denied her! That is they gave her one month of Chap as she turned 26-a limiting date for most Chap 35 children-

We sent the regs and the DD 214 again with a scathing NOD mommy wrote and in 3 weeks she was awarded the month plus seven years of Chap 35.

I think the GI bill moght have a limiting date-not sure-

I was told that a Chap 35 can get Pell grants and also keep the CHap 35 payment.

Not 100% sure and I dont know about GI Bill-

Best place for GI Bill and CHap 35 info is at Mil.com and other vets sites-

The VA site is very confusing on these issues.

Someone asked about the Chap 35 payment.

I was Chap 35 for 3 years and pay myself for rest of degree.

I had to pay the tuition myself and the VA would add the days of school up-divide the course time- and then send me the tuition back in 2, 3, or 4 checks.

It was close to $750 but I think Chap 35 went up to the figure quoted here.

I tied in with the school's VA counselor, told her each time I enrolled and paid my tuition-sent her the course info etc-and sent a CC to VA Education Dept.

One thing to consider- I took accelerated course- 8 weeksd long as well as courses that were 3-4 weeks long-

The tuition was the same but the method of VA payment was different.

One course I paid the tuition 750 or 800- and advised VA counselor and VA Edu- and didnt get any checks for over 3 months-

then I got 3 checks in one week.

They came the same week my DIC check came and I was kind of reluctant to put them in my bank account because it must have looked odd to the teller-

but I did.

I believe my school has some Chap 35 info now-at their site- they only have had a few Chap 35ers.

They do spell out the GI Bill there and how that works-and TAP-

American Military University- almost all who attend are active military.

they might have even more info on grants and they do have the Financial Aid info too (which I think is Pell?)

Might give someone an idea of how it works-

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

(I have to take the schools exit exam Monday and then start my final course Friday and will GRADUATE with Honors-Whew! It has been hard work! I think I mentioned in Social that my time will be limited here from -actually -today on- for 2-3 months. There are many others here who certainly can help all with their claims questions.Anyone here active military- please check out my school-all on line and fully accredited and the staff is 90 % or more military and the teaching is superb. AMU has students all over the globe on active duty as well as many officers getting higher degrees there)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I was told that a Chap 35 can get Pell grants and also keep the CHap 35 payment.

Not 100% sure and I dont know about GI Bill-

Best place for GI Bill and CHap 35 info is at Mil.com and other vets sites-

The VA site is very confusing on these issues.

Yes, you can collect a pell grant with your Ch 35 benefits...I'm not sure if you can collect all three though (pell+ch35+GI). My first year back in school was just as I had quit nursing (to be with the wife) and started investing online instead, so that year's tax returns (for me) were low...this qualified us for the pell and I was getting Ch 35. On top of that, I got free tuition through the state, so I was banking all of the Ch35 and most of the pell grant.