Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stafford Loan

Rate this question

HolliGreen

Question

Hello, I will preface my post with an apology lest I unintentionally %*#@ anyone off. :)

First, I am thankful and grateful for the compensation and benefits the VA has seen fit to award me for my schedular 100% service-connected, T&P diseases of multiple sclerosis and asthma.

At this point in my life I would very much like to earn my Masters degree at my B.A. alma mater. I do not learn as well in an online environment, interaction with fellow classmates works best.

It appears I fit in no category for VA help with financing my Masters; I have spoken to the Voc Rehab rep and he told me I am not eligible. Independent Living? grab bars are already installed in my tub.

The bulk of my time has been spent searching for grants, scholarships, etc.

The Stafford loan appears to be my best and only option.

BTW-I am a peace-time era vet with two sets of active duty: 1st:Sept. 80-Sept. 84. Honorable Discharge. 2nd: Feb. 85 - Nov. 87- Honorable medical discharge for asthma.

The first symptom of MS appeared during the second enlistment while stationed in South Korea.

Any thoughts, information, suggestions will be so very, very much appreciated.

Also, I do not want to come off sounding like a spoiled brat because I know both personally and from Hadit, there are folks worse off than myself. Have a good day. Holli

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Holli:

Glad to see you back. I recommend that you pay a visit to the people at your school who help people with scholarships and student loans. If you lived in Texas your tuition would be free using Hazelwood Act if a State School.

Maybe your School or State offers some help. Grants are better than Loans.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Holli:

Glad to see you back. I recommend that you pay a visit to the people at your school who help people with scholarships and student loans. If you lived in Texas your tuition would be free using Hazelwood Act if a State School.

Maybe your School or State offers some help. Grants are better than Loans.

Good Luck

Are you sure of this Pete? I have seen some fairly liberal education benefits for disabled vets, but I've never seen a program that covers any graduate work (not saying it isn't true; I've just never heard of it).

Holli,

Talk to the folks at your school (the VA folks in particular) and see what scholarships there are out there for you....given your status, you may have a leg up in qualifying for some of the grants available, but scholarships are a huge PITA, so you'll likely need help from someone qualified to direct you in that endeavor.

Guest Dataman

Hg;

Be careful with Education and Age and SSA Disability. If you draw SSA Disability having higher degree will force you into different cat.

see www.severe.net

Grid

I know I also applied for Retraining when I applied for TDIU. They turned me down for Retraining.

Stay Well

• HadIt.com Elder
Are you sure of this Pete? I have seen some fairly liberal education benefits for disabled vets, but I've never seen a program that covers any graduate work (not saying it isn't true; I've just never heard of it).

Holli,

Talk to the folks at your school (the VA folks in particular) and see what scholarships there are out there for you....given your status, you may have a leg up in qualifying for some of the grants available, but scholarships are a huge PITA, so you'll likely need help from someone qualified to direct you in that endeavor.

That is true for Texas Veterans attending any State School including all the Jr Colleges that are not private. Its called the Hazelwood Act.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hg;

Be careful with Education and Age and SSA Disability. If you draw SSA Disability having higher degree will force you into different cat.

see www.severe.net

Grid

I know I also applied for Retraining when I applied for TDIU. They turned me down for Retraining.

Stay Well

...Thank you all for the information. Dataman: the Voc Rehab rep briefly addressed the higher education issue as it pertains to the VA...interesting about the SSA...my, they all are a tricky bunch :) As a matter of fact, I am a disability retired federal employee (under FERS) and anyone who has retired in that way knows the VA, SSA, and the disability retirement process must be in concert for the retirement to be approved. This new information sure throws a monkey wrench into this. Last question: if I somehow managed to win the lottery (mega-doubtful) and paid tuition outright how would this affect the SSA situation? It is really something else how the system operates, a person with secondary-progressive multiple sclerosis is very unlikely to return to work. At this time there is no cure for MS (plenty of BIG PHARMA first generation injectible medicines though) and as any self-respecting neurologist knows, with MS you only go one way and that way is down. Anyway, I will explore that site. BTW my age is early forties. Thank you all again. H.G. P.S. It is good to be back, I have missed everyone.

That is true for Texas Veterans attending any State School including all the Jr Colleges that are not private. Its called the Hazelwood Act.

Thanks, it sounds like a good program and I did some digging on it to see what it's about:

Question 29: Can Hazlewood Act benefits be used for graduate school?

Answer: Yes. Hazlewood Act benefits may be used for graduate studies, including law school or any other program of study at public institutions (other than non-funded continuing education) if the veteran has not already accumulated 150 credit hours using Hazlewood Act benefits since fall 1995.

The only downside I can see is that it kinda screws guard members and doesn't extend benefits to spouses, but, other than that, it's a good bill. It sounds perfect for people who used Ch 35 for their BA and want to move on to a masters+......it appears that you have to exhaust your Ch 35 benefits before using the hazelwood act and there's a 150 credit limit, so it should be perfect in that instance.