Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stafford Loan

Rate this question

HolliGreen

Question

Hello, I will preface my post with an apology lest I unintentionally %*#@ anyone off. :)

First, I am thankful and grateful for the compensation and benefits the VA has seen fit to award me for my schedular 100% service-connected, T&P diseases of multiple sclerosis and asthma.

At this point in my life I would very much like to earn my Masters degree at my B.A. alma mater. I do not learn as well in an online environment, interaction with fellow classmates works best.

It appears I fit in no category for VA help with financing my Masters; I have spoken to the Voc Rehab rep and he told me I am not eligible. Independent Living? grab bars are already installed in my tub.

The bulk of my time has been spent searching for grants, scholarships, etc.

The Stafford loan appears to be my best and only option.

BTW-I am a peace-time era vet with two sets of active duty: 1st:Sept. 80-Sept. 84. Honorable Discharge. 2nd: Feb. 85 - Nov. 87- Honorable medical discharge for asthma.

The first symptom of MS appeared during the second enlistment while stationed in South Korea.

Any thoughts, information, suggestions will be so very, very much appreciated.

Also, I do not want to come off sounding like a spoiled brat because I know both personally and from Hadit, there are folks worse off than myself. Have a good day. Holli

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Social Security has the limit for substantial gainful employment. You can earn a certain amount - but I sure wouldn't get close to the amount. I think if you earn over $500 a month - that is counted as a trial work month.

A 10 hour a week appointment for a school would be free tuition and maybe about $300 a month. I'm sure that could be offset for Social Security with impairment related work expenses.

Again, they might have programs for free tuition only - with no work requirements.

Free

I'm also FERS disability retirement, SSDI and IU and was told that for FERS Disability Retirement that I could earn up to 80% of my previous income without penalty (similar to what Reihs said) but that would be disastrous for IU!

Steve

Think Outside the Box!