VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retriee Pay And Crdp Combined As One Deposit?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Got my first ever VA 60% comp in bank.This extra really helps me support kiddos. DFAS payday Sep 4 is next. Should I expect Retiree pay and CRDP to be combined or paid seperately as a deposit? Thanks, not working fulltime but trying to make ends meet meanwhile. cg

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Razorback Greg,

You won't get anything for May 07. Under 38 USR 3.31, payment for monetary benifits based on original awards of compensation may not be made for any period prior to the first day of the calendar month following the month in which the award became effective. Since your effective date is 1 May 07, you are eligle for compensation beginning 1 June 07 and your first payment would be 1 July 07.

You should get your CRDP amount for June and July. It took the VA about 60 days after my first check to get my back pay.

Cowgirl,

CRDP started 1 JAN 04 and my effective date was 1 OCT 04 so it went back to then. And the check comes from the VA so it is taxfree. They will send a letter out breaking down month by month the benifit and how much was CRDP after they deposit the back pay. I was a little stressed out about my back pay becuase DFAS said the VA would pay it and the VA said DFAS would pay. I called the 800 number when a deposit was made in my checking account from the VA, they had no idea that the VA made the payment. About a week later the letter came from the VA showing how the back pay was calculated

DFAS does not go back and adjust your RAS or 1099R to show the change in retirement pay due to CRDP reto award. You will need to file an amended tax return reducing your retired pay by the difference. You just need to cite IRS Ruling 78-161(Strickland Decision).

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Jimmy, I too was curious about the "when" and "if" of backpay, told by teh VA and DFAS each other would pay, nearly sounded like car dealer "doubletalk" on the 1800#s! smile. Hope to see backpay in the next month, that'd put joy in my heart! Just recieved the benefit letter last month, and so far I have recieved my VA and CRDP. The reward letter explained simply the offset and CRDP amount, but didnt "detail" out backpay as of yet. Also added dependents, so I expect a delay. Sounds like you recieved a very detailed letter so I will wait to do tax adjustments until I get my letter. Hope it all pans out clearly here as it did for you, thanks a bunch.cg

Thanks Jimmy, I too was curious about the "when" and "if" of backpay, told by teh VA and DFAS each other would pay, nearly sounded like car dealer "doubletalk" on the 1800#s! smile. Hope to see backpay in the next month, that'd put joy in my heart! Just recieved the benefit letter last month, and so far I have recieved my VA and CRDP. The reward letter explained simply the offset and CRDP amount, but didnt "detail" out backpay as of yet. Also added dependents, so I expect a delay. Sounds like you recieved a very detailed letter so I will wait to do tax adjustments until I get my letter. Hope it all pans out clearly here as it did for you, thanks a bunch.cg

Could someone explain what backpay you all are talking about. I am 60% awarded this month retro to June 2007.