Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Locomotion

Rate this question

windy city

Question

Can anybody be able to explain to me what does the va mean when they use the phrase loss of use of lower extremities as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches canes or wheelchair. Does this mean that you have to be using all the allpliances for the va to considered loss of locomotion.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Wait I made the assumption that with the thalamus, you might not see EMG problems but would still see loss of deep tendon reflexes, and inccordination or inability to plantar/dorsi flex foot, or diminished capacity too.

I would assume this to be true, for there even to be a claim. Yet I am not 100% certain. It's simply something I have not run into. I can investigate it if you would like Ricky... I mean the physical effects have to be present so one would assume dep tendon and others would be affected. I am just uncertain as to how an EMG wouldnt see some of this... but again I'm going to read up on it, because all I can say now honestly is I'm not sure.

Bob Smith

OK, I think this is the best... description of how the thalamus works with the neurons/axons etc. Its a long and technical article but it seems comprehensive from a skimming. I am going to read it in depth.

http://www.painonline.org/NerveCells.htm

You try and read it too Ricky and maybe we can help each other with the big words... (joking) really though please try to read it so we can sort out HOW this stuff works... I thought I knew, but after skimming this article I only grasped the basics.

Bob Smith

Thanks Bob - Windy I am sorry that I started this post here as it moves in on you. Sorry Sorry Sorry -

Bob I am moving my question to a new post called Thalamus please see it. Thanks buddy.

Heck my bad too... sorry Windy, I got caught up in that aspect... I'll post comments related to the thalamus in Rickys new thread....

Here however, I think you are straight... have you filed the claim?

Bob Smith