VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Respiratory Toxicants

Rate this question

Stretch

Question

• In Memoriam

Respiratory Toxicants

Exposure to chemical substances can cause adverse effects on the respiratory system, which consists of the nasal passages, pharynx, trachea, bronchi, and lungs. Respiratory toxicity can include a variety of acute and chronic pulmonary conditions, including local irritation, bronchitis, pulmonary edema, emphysema, and cancer. It is well known that exposure to environmental and industrial chemicals can impair respiratory function. Ground-level ozone, the main component in smog, causes breathing problems, aggravates asthma, and increases the severity and incidence of respiratory infections. Acute exposure to respiratory toxicants can trigger effects ranging from mild irritation to death by asphyxiation. Prolonged exposure to respiratory toxicants can cause structural damage to the lungs, resulting in chronic diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema, and cancer. Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious lung disease in which airways become restricted or inflamed, leading to difficulty in breathing. It can be caused by exposure to coal dust, aluminum, beryllium, and carbides of tungsten. Emphysema, a degenerative and potentially fatal disease, is characterized by the inability of the lungs to fully expand and contract. The most common cause of emphysema is heavy cigarette smoking, but the disease can also be induced by exposure to aluminum, cadmium oxide, ozone, and nitrogen oxides. In addition, several toxicants are known to cause respiratory cancer. Examples of well-established human lung carcinogens are cigarette smoke, asbestos, arsenic, and nickel.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Respiratory Toxicants

Exposure to chemical substances can cause adverse effects on the respiratory system, which consists of the nasal passages, pharynx, trachea, bronchi, and lungs. Respiratory toxicity can include a variety of acute and chronic pulmonary conditions, including local irritation, bronchitis, pulmonary edema, emphysema, and cancer. It is well known that exposure to environmental and industrial chemicals can impair respiratory function. Ground-level ozone, the main component in smog, causes breathing problems, aggravates asthma, and increases the severity and incidence of respiratory infections. Acute exposure to respiratory toxicants can trigger effects ranging from mild irritation to death by asphyxiation. Prolonged exposure to respiratory toxicants can cause structural damage to the lungs, resulting in chronic diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema, and cancer. Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious lung disease in which airways become restricted or inflamed, leading to difficulty in breathing. It can be caused by exposure to coal dust, aluminum, beryllium, and carbides of tungsten. Emphysema, a degenerative and potentially fatal disease, is characterized by the inability of the lungs to fully expand and contract. The most common cause of emphysema is heavy cigarette smoking, but the disease can also be induced by exposure to aluminum, cadmium oxide, ozone, and nitrogen oxides. In addition, several toxicants are known to cause respiratory cancer. Examples of well-established human lung carcinogens are cigarette smoke, asbestos, arsenic, and nickel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am an agent orange victim and I have to use oxygen most of the day. Doctors do not understand the effects of dioxin on the body after it has sat in your tissue for 30 years. In my small area of Florida, I see any where from 3 to 4 vets dieing that were Nam vets! Many of their families have idea to connect dioxin and their lost. The need to put this issue forward is needed, but try to tell the story and no media wants to hear it let alone publish it!

Guest targetman2
I am an agent orange victim and I have to use oxygen most of the day.  Doctors do not understand the effects of dioxin on the body after it has sat in your tissue for 30 years.  In my small area of Florida, I see any where from 3 to 4 vets dieing that were Nam vets!  Many of their families have idea to connect dioxin and their lost.  The need to put this issue forward is needed, but try to tell the story and no media wants to hear it let alone publish it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest VetWife Advocate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Targetman, Where are you in FL? How is your VAMC there? How has the SO been where you are?

Glad you are here.

Brenda :blink: B)