Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Understanding Dd214

Rate this question

Speaking Out

Question

Okay, I have searched on the site, but I am confused. Allot of the post say look at box 26 and see what code is there. I have no box 26 on my DD214. It goes from box 24 to box 28. I have been under the impression that I was medically seperated from the USAF. Box number 23. Type of Seperation it is listed as Retirement, box 24 Character of Service is Honorable. There are no boxes 25, 26, or 27. Box 28 Narrative reason for seperation it says Disability, Temporary. Can anyone tell me what this actually means?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I was never re-evaluated, but I believe I was discharged with severence pay because when I filed for my VA benefits they held the amount I got from the VA until it added up to my lump sum I received when I was on the TDR list. I just don't find any paperwork that shows that happening and my DD214 has me confused by saying retirement. I will keep reading in the huge C file and see what all I can find.

You might want to find the separation/discharge orders as well. They usually have a sentence or two

stating the reason for discharge/retirement (if I remember correctly).

I will look for those orders. Thanks!