Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loss Of Use

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

Can anyone tell me for VA purposes the definition of Loss of Use? I was told if you had two major joints with extreme ankylosis then the effected foots would be considered Loss of Use, Is this true?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Greetings,

I am rated Loss of Use of bi-lateral feet. I use a cane to walk as difficult as it is, however due to my bi-later foot issues I was granted loss of use. Without the braces (given to me by my foot doctor at the VAMC) I have epsiodes of falling.

What made the difference for me was when I was issued braces for support. Please note when I asked for increase for my bi-lateral foot problems I was allready rated at 50% for the feet so the only next step was 100% due to loss of use. I didn't even ask the VARO for that rating. When I received my award letter along with my other issues they gave it to me, along with auto allowence, housing grant (which I have used) it was a real blessing. I hope this helps.

Bound4Heaven

Are you wheelchair bound or not?

Jay,

Favorable ankylosis of the knee would mean that it is locked in 0 to 5 degrees of extension. Basically the veteran would have to be walking stiff-legged since they could not bend their knee. Unfavorable ankylosis likely is comparable to loss of use of the foot because the foot would either not be touching the ground or incapable of supporting weight due to being locked in varying degree of flexion contracture.

While it is quite common for the VA to grant "loss of use" for a foot when the veteran wears an "AFO", in almost ALL cases... or all but one that I have seen the VA also required some proof of nerve damage thru an EMG. The case I didn't see it, but thought it could be won was where the thalamus of the brain was damaged and this would NOT show up on an EMG. I think a decent claim could be made there, but otherwise, while having an "AFO" seems to be almost a necessity for loss of use, a solid EMG showing some abnormality... not great just some is usually required by the rater as well.

How many times have we seen this question now?.... hehe

By the way all the ex-raters I have discussed this with have stated that they did and do require the EMG, and if you claim loss of use, its an almost automatic C&P.

Bob Smith

AFO = Ankle Foot Orthotic (device)

Basically it is a hardened plastic (really really hard) molded device which holds your foot level, witch allows no movement of the ankle, the AFO goes up the leg to just below the knee (most of them anyway some are a little different, and the used to be made out of metal). Since your foot is secured, people who suffer foot-drop or a reduced plantar or dorsi-felxion have a foot they can trust not to just give out.

I wear 2. One on each leg.

Bob Smith

Greetings,

I am rated Loss of Use of bi-lateral feet. I use a cane to walk as difficult as it is, however due to my bi-later foot issues I was granted loss of use. Without the braces (given to me by my foot doctor at the VAMC) I have epsiodes of falling.

What made the difference for me was when I was issued braces for support. Please note when I asked for increase for my bi-lateral foot problems I was allready rated at 50% for the feet so the only next step was 100% due to loss of use. I didn't even ask the VARO for that rating. When I received my award letter along with my other issues they gave it to me, along with auto allowence, housing grant (which I have used) it was a real blessing. I hope this helps.

Bound4Heaven

Bound4heaven I noticed that you rated loss of use and use a cane instead of a wheelchair. Do you mine if I ask you are bi-lateral feet problems you have?