VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will I Get All Of My Back-pay Or A Small Amount Of It Each Month?

Rate this question

B. Capit

Question

I've been approved for 100% disability since May. Someone has already came to the house to interview me and my mother (she is going to handle the money) and the only thing left to wait for is for the check to be made and signed. Probably only another year or so, but that's not my concern anymore...

My issue is back-pay. I was told that I will not recieve the full amount of back-pay, but probably only $500-$1,000 a month, along with my $2,400 pension. Is this true??

Also, can the VA contact MVA and suspend my license due to my disability? My license was mysteriously suspended and now I have to prove to the MVA that I am able to drive by getting a VA doctor to write a letter. But I can't get an appointment at the VA until February. It kind of makes me sad because I am basically living in my car, and I have to drive. :D

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Once approved and at the point that you are at as soon as your Mom is approved to handle your money you will get the whole amount in one payment.

Do you feel that you are not competent to handle your money?

Good Luck

My mother was approved almost three months ago I think. It's been taking them this whole time to write the check.

She's a penny-pincher, she is the best person to handle it. I have a hard time saving...lol.

You should be getting your monthly comp untill your mother is approved. Thus not living in your car. Only your backpay can be held untill a decision is made.

The fiduciary program is seperate from claims and I doubt 3 months is a reasonable wait time after they have interviewed you. More like 4-6 weeks max.

Something doesn't add up.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

In this state any medical doctor who treats you can cause the DMV to suspend your license. I would think the doctor would tell you he did not want you to drive.

The DMV should provide you with the reason for the suspension and the name of the doctor involved. Additionally, I have heard that private citizens can file complaints that could cause the DMV to ask you to get a medical opinion as to your ability to drive. I am not sure of the specific situations that need to occur before the DMV will get involved in a complaint from a private citizen.

A friend I helped was deemed SC and incompetent and his wife became his payee - still he received-in her name- a WHOLE lot of retro-

The retro depends on what Entitlement date they gave you- usually the date you filed the claim-

I dint know any reason why-even with someone else handling your comp- that this would be sent to you differently.

"My issue is back-pay. I was told that I will not recieve the full amount of back-pay, but probably only $500-$1,000 a month, along with my $2,400 pension. Is this true??"

In less you mean CRDP or CRSP benefits due to receipt also of retiree military pension?

The chain of events for my proposed incompetent finding.

Won 100% award and in the award letter VA "proposed" to find me incompetent.

At this point you can Nod but comp payments should be released to the veteran either way. Backpay is not released untill a decision is made on competency. It is worked as a claim. C&P and everything so it can take months unless you don't Nod.

If you do not Nod, or if you lose the Nod, and request a fiduciary such as a wife or relative, a councilor from the fiduciary dept will scheduale a social exam (whatever that C&P exam is called) to visit you and the your proposed fiduciary at your home. Most often they will tell you at this meeting if the fiduciary is likely to be approved but it is a heads up and not a decision.

Once the fiduciary is approve the councilor will set another home visit. If the backpay is substantial as mine was then what the veterans plans with it are discussed as well as short term and long term financial goals. The fiduciary is responsible to make sure these goals are met. I can imagine that some of these councilors can be quite hardnosed and unmoving but mine does not believe I'm in need of a fiduciary and only made suggestions.

After this last meeting, comp payments are put into the fiduciary's name and care, and backpay is released. Lump sum backpay.

Time