Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Ptsd And Tbi

Rate this question

Lee Mullins

Question

I need some advice I am 100% perment & total PTSD is 80% right knee 20% left knee 10% and Tinnitus 10% now the VA Hospital is looking just now getting around to my TBI and they say I have tested positive for TBI should I open a clame up for that even though I am 100% perment & total?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

In my opinion yes you should... there are several benefits to doing so, but I really want to point out the new legislation concerning TBI in H.R. 1585... there is a BIG change in the way it is handled and what is provided etc. Go to the THOMAS website and read the section of the Bill concerning the new protocol/benefits etc. While Bush used a "pocket veto" to delay the Bill, once Congress somes back into session (mid-month) a compromise will be worked out and it will be law.

Further you can and do become eligable for more money as your rating increases. Special Monthly Compensation is paid for injuries which exceed the level of care necessary funded by normal compensation. Depending upon your rating you could become eligable for housebound status, etc. The SMC rate tables are below the Compensation ones at www.va.gov.

Bob is absolutely positively correct here-

I think I posted the new TBI stuff recently-

this is good news and should help many TBI vets get a better diagnosis and better appropriate medical care for TBI.

TBI can cause many residuals that could be misunderstood as PD or a psychosis when in fact the residuals are from organic brain trauma from a traumatic brain injury.

Actually, I think it depends on a couple of factors.

It depends on what testing and how thourough it was that determined you have a TBI. As of current, residuals of TBI are rated at 10% and no more unless there is a diagnoses of dementia, cognative disorder.

I have to go for a bit so I will explain more in an hour or so. I have not read the legislation for TBI but if it does not change the ratings scheduall, it will do little for claims.

Time

Okay, for the most part I agree with the others. You should get SC for the TBI.

The reason I say it depends boils down to the testing that verified your TBI. Because PTSD and TBI overlap perfectly except TBI does not have a stressor (recurrent nightmares and such, this comes directly from Veterans Health Initiative's TBI Independant Study Coarse released Jan 04) the PTSD will be re-examined also during a C&P for TBI. PTSD is the #1 misdiagnoses for TBI (also from the study course). I was misdiagnosed with PTSD for awhile before it was determined that TBI was the culprit in a C&P.

I recomend knowing exactly what the results of any testing are before puting your current rating in the hands of a unknown C&P examiner and uneducated Rater. You must have a diagnoses of Dementia due to trauma in order to get more than 10%. So it is hard for me to recomend having your PTSD re-evaluated for a possible 10% rating for TBI unless you have a dementia or cognative dissorder diagnoses.

TBI may have media and congressional attention but it is still a very grey area in the medical community. And greyer still in the rating criteria.

Sorry for a somewhat wishy-washy post but it's important to know a definitive diagnoses. I'm 100% P&T for dementia due to head trauma and it was very hard to get.

Time