Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is A Star Review?

Rate this question

AB2WK

Question

I inquired about the status of my claim through IRIS and they told me my file went for a star review. I called the 800 number and they said it's a review to make sure I get the proper rating. Does anyone know what this is? I did a search on it and there wasn't much there. Thanks, John

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It is an internal review/control of the VA's to say that they have a quality control system. They audit a sample (not sure of the ratio, im sure it is small) and the small number of cases they actually review indicates to the VA whether there is consistancy in its decision making. Just think a whole section in the VA with people that have the skills to rate claims and they review claims that have already been rated. I understand a need for quality control but it seems rating claims and reducing the backlog should be a priority.

Does anyone know if during this process can the STAR review make a correction to a rating (if its wrong) or do they have to send it back into the regional office for correction?

Best regards,

Tyler

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA has used the BVA as quality control over the last few decades. Just send the junk to the BVA and let the vet twist in the wind for two years.

As Tyler said, it is an internal review. But, I thought only claims that were already decided went to star. So I'm confused that yours would be there unless you have gotten a recent decision. There is no reason to review if a decision has not been made.

Mine went to star after I was awarded. It held up another decision untill the folder came back to my VARO.

I have no idea if star has any impact on a decision if mistakes are found. My guess is that a mistake in the VA's favor get's ignored unless the vet appeals and mistakes in the vet's favor get reviewed at the VARO with proposals to decrease ratings.

Time