Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chances For Successful Claim?

Rate this question

MrLogan13

Question

I'm still kind of new around here, but am learning a lot through everyone's experience.

I'm a young vet myself, and I wish I could have served longer than the couple of years that I did.

I went through a med board and was medically retired with 30% from the Army for asthma that occured during LOD (bad, bad case of pneumonia that I left untreated for too long while in the field). I didn't get rated for any other conidtions, but it was noted that my pes planus and allergic rhinitis occured during LOD. Other than asthma, I was never treated too much for the other conditions. I got some medications for the rhinitis, and motrin for the pain caused by the pes planus. I've been out since 2005. I never filed a claim before because I was still trying to jump through hoops to try to get reevaluated for them to let me back in. Seems like I've exhausted all options, and no dice. Not getting back in. :blink: I feel bad too, since I know a lot of the guys there filing claims are for combat related stuff these days.

I'm about to file my claim with the VA. I know it's probably something I should have done a long time ago. Based on your experiences, what do you think are my chances for getting a rating for those conditions?

How would I go about showing that other problems I'm having now are service connected? I haven't been diagnosed yet--I'm seeing a doc for it next week--but based on symptoms alone, I believe I have plantar faciitis and the beginning of arthritis in my knees.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck, welcome aboard. You have every chance to get sucessful claim. If I could redo my first claim, I would have used Hadit advice (or paid for a Hadit course on how to file!), read my SMRs better to know 'exactly' to claim for, learn what to expect in C&Ps with worksheets, would have found a recommended VSO and if I knew then what I know now, I would have IMOs wit current diagnosis's done in advance. best to ya, cg

I'm still kind of new around here, but am learning a lot through everyone's experience.

I'm a young vet myself, and I wish I could have served longer than the couple of years that I did.

I went through a med board and was medically retired with 30% from the Army for asthma that occured during LOD (bad, bad case of pneumonia that I left untreated for too long while in the field). I didn't get rated for any other conidtions, but it was noted that my pes planus and allergic rhinitis occured during LOD. Other than asthma, I was never treated too much for the other conditions. I got some medications for the rhinitis, and motrin for the pain caused by the pes planus. I've been out since 2005. I never filed a claim before because I was still trying to jump through hoops to try to get reevaluated for them to let me back in. Seems like I've exhausted all options, and no dice. Not getting back in. :blink: I feel bad too, since I know a lot of the guys there filing claims are for combat related stuff these days.

I'm about to file my claim with the VA. I know it's probably something I should have done a long time ago. Based on your experiences, what do you think are my chances for getting a rating for those conditions?

How would I go about showing that other problems I'm having now are service connected? I haven't been diagnosed yet--I'm seeing a doc for it next week--but based on symptoms alone, I believe I have plantar faciitis and the beginning of arthritis in my knees.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Hey MRlogan13,

You can try and do what I did, I went to my old docotrs office where I was seen before entering the military. I requested a copy of my medical records, I believe they hold them for around 20 years or so, anyways get a copy of that if you can and it will show the VA, that you weren't seen in the past for those problems. Thats what I did at least and it seemed to work so far as getting 20%. Its worth a shot anyways.

MRLogan13,

I was discharged in Apr of 1997 and didn't file a claim until 2003. I filed for 3 things and got 10% for each. It took about 8 months and I had to have 1 C&P exam. In 2005 I reopened my case asking for an increase. When the claim was finished I had 50% A 30% a 20% and a 10%. In 2006 I reopened my claim and asked for an increase and added 3 new claims. I was granted 10% on one of the new ones and 0% on another one and the 3rd was denied. I got shafted on this claim since I should have had my 20% one increased to 40% which I am asking for a reconsideration on. The one they gave me 0% should have been 10%. My over all increased to 60% but should have gone to 70%. I should be granted TDI/U after the reconsideration but if not then I will file my NOD and ask for a DRO review. If I can help with any other questions let me know. DJ 8

P.S. Welcome to the community.