Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Near A Vamc Or Clinic

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Hi All,

I want to know what do Vets do to work on getting earned C&P. It seems like a lot of Vets move or happen to be near a VAMC or clinic, and can get medical care that may help in the battle for earned C&P.

So what happens if your a Vet trying to get that inital or relooked C&P and you live 200 miles away, and you don't have private med insurance?

Are you forced to drive to this far away VA facility every time you have a Dr. Apt or med issue? What do you do if your condition gets worse? Seems like this is a problem for Vets /Family that don't live near a VA center and espically don't have private med insurance.

Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

If you are looking for treatment of a service connected disability you could apply for fee basis care. If approved and you have a doc in your area that will take fee basis payment for his work then you can go to him. Some areas have orbital clinics. Check to see if there is one closer to you than the VAMC. If none of this applies then I hate to say it but it is one of those suck it up situations.

To put a positive spin on the issue I guess you could look at it this way. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to drive the 200 miles for care than it is to buy health insurance. jmho

jescb4,

What state are you in? I live in NC and have to travel 125 miles to get to the VA hosp. I have a clinic that is 15 mins from my house but they are limited on what they can do. If I need an x-ray it is a 250 mile round trip. The funny thing is that I have another clinic, that has more facilities, attached to another VA hosp in Durham that is only 45 mins away but I can not use that clinic since I am attached to the Fayetteville Hosp. I have been given fee basis for things like physical therapy and pain management. If you are SC 50% or more you get travel pay no matter what you are seen for at the hospital. I am not sure about travel pay to a clinic since mine is only 15 mins away. Our clinic is all filled up and there is a waiting list to get in that clinic. The only way to get in is when someone moves and leaves a vacancy. :)