Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I'm confused about the Life Insurance for service disabled veteran.

Is the first $10,000 free??

Thanks

jessie

Waiver of Premiums for Totally Disabled Veterans

Under certain conditions, the basic S-DVI policy provides for a waiver of premiums in case of total disability. Policyholders who carry the basic S-DVI coverage and who become eligible for a waiver of premiums due to total disability can apply for and be granted additional Supplemental S-DVI of up to $20,000.

Supplemental S-DVI

The Veterans' Benefits Act of 1992, provided for $20,000 of supplemental coverage to S-DVI policyholders. Premiums may not be waived on this supplemental coverage. S-DVI policyholders are eligible for this supplemental coverage if:

• They are eligible for a waiver of premiums.
  • They apply for the coverage within one year from notice of the grant of waiver.
  • are under age 65

If I am reding this correctly the 1st $10,000.00 would have the premium waived and then you would be eligible to apply for a second amount up to $20,000.00 that you would have to pay for.

Interesting I am reading it to say you can get $30,000.00 total. I never knew that till I looked this up .. lol

Waiver of Premiums for Totally Disabled Veterans

Under certain conditions, the basic S-DVI policy provides for a waiver of premiums in case of total disability. Policyholders who carry the basic S-DVI coverage and who become eligible for a waiver of premiums due to total disability can apply for and be granted additional Supplemental S-DVI of up to $20,000.

Supplemental S-DVI

The Veterans' Benefits Act of 1992, provided for $20,000 of supplemental coverage to S-DVI policyholders. Premiums may not be waived on this supplemental coverage. S-DVI policyholders are eligible for this supplemental coverage if:

• They are eligible for a waiver of premiums.
  • They apply for the coverage within one year from notice of the grant of waiver.
  • are under age 65

If I am reding this correctly the 1st $10,000.00 would have the premium waived and then you would be eligible to apply for a second amount up to $20,000.00 that you would have to pay for.

Interesting I am reading it to say you can get $30,000.00 total. I never knew that till I looked this up .. lol

Thanks BigDog:

I am trying to apply for the Life Insurance for my son who cannot get life insurance anywhere else do to his haveing 2 differents kinds of rare cancer.

He is rated now at 50% disabled 40% for the cancer and 10% for his back and is only 37.

This insurance stuff is all too confusing!!

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

I got the disabled vet life insurance and the waiver on premiums because I was IU. It was very easy and the VA seemed to have their act together on this one. Big Dog is right. You have to apply within one year of being granted a disability even if it is just 10%. I was already IU when I got an additional 10% for something else so I was able to apply. I wonder if you get an SMC if that is considered a new disability?

I'm not sure about the SMC thing. I know that you have to apply for the insurance within a year of being granted SC - and any time you get a NEW condition rated you can re-apply. BUT - you have to be in good health EXCEPT for the C condition.

For instance if you get SC for a knee condition, but also have cancer - then they don't have to accept you.

I wish they would open enrollment up for people who are granted SC for conditions after their death.

I will TRY to enroll my husband once I get the SC for cancer. But the decisions at the BVA don't make it look very promising.

They DO allow enrollment after death, IF the vet was incapable of applying BEFORE death.

Say the vet gets SC for something - and he becomes mentally incompetent within one year of getting the SC. They can actually enroll him / her AFTER death because of the incompetance within the one year period making them unable to apply.

You have to SHOW they were mentally incompetent BEFORE death - and that the incompetance kept them from applying - BUT the laws REQUIRE a showing of incompetance AND they don't consider short periods of incompetence right before death to count.

They say that if the vet didn't apply while they WERE competent - they shouldn't get it.

This totally disregards the rights of those who were not granted SC until AFTER death. From what I read - you STILL have to show they were incompetent BEFORE death - which is ridiculous because they could NOT have applied BEFORE death (whether competent or not) if they weren't granted the SC.

By the time my husband was granted SC for other conditions - he already had the cancer (that was NOT Sc'd) He didn't apply for the insurance - however, he wouldn't hav been accepted anyway - because the cancer would have made him NOT in good health (insurable) except for his SC conditions.

Yet, if I get the SC granted for his cancer AFTER his death, according to what I have read - it would be an uphill battle to try to get the life insurance granted AFTER death - because the only mental incompetance I could show was that immediately proceedig his death (and drug induced).

I have read a few cases at the BVA - and it doesn't look promising.

They have left a gap.

To me - if the vet APPLIED for SC BEFORE death - and SC is granted AFTER death - they should not REQUIRE the incompetance - because they weren't allowed to apply because they weren't granted SC yet.

But I guess laws are laws.

The best argument I could make is where the decisions keep saying that they do not consider brief incompetance immediately proceeding death to count - because if the vet did not apply while they were competant - the law wasn't meant to protect them - should not apply in my husband's case - as he was not able to apply while competant because he hadn't been granted SC yet - So that ANY showing of incompetance for ANY amount of time before death should suffice to meet the incompetance standard required by law.

Free

Free

I got the disabled vet life insurance and the waiver on premiums because I was IU. It was very easy and the VA seemed to have their act together on this one. Big Dog is right. You have to apply within one year of being granted a disability even if it is just 10%. I was already IU when I got an additional 10% for something else so I was able to apply. I wonder if you get an SMC if that is considered a new disability?
Think Outside the Box!

John SMC's do not count. For the basic life (first 10,000) it must be applied for within TWO YEARS of receiving a rating for a new condition. The one year requirement applies to the supplemental amounts which must be applied for within ONE YEAR of receiving a notice that your waiver of premiums has been approved on the basic amount.

Edited by Ricky