Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Denied My Brother For A&a

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Hello everyone;

Several months ago i filed a claim for my brother [ or helped him claim] for A%A.

Today he got a denial letter. I haven't read the letter, My Mother read it to me over the phone and i couldn't believe some of the things they used to deny him. Things that had to come out of his medical records from 2 years ago or longer when he didn't have a diagnosis of Cancer yet.

What can i do, He is in stage 4 Liver Cancer and don't think he will make it long enough to appeal.

Anything i can do short of a NOD ?

Thanks, Jessie :rolleyes:

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello everyone;

Several months ago i filed a claim for my brother [ or helped him claim] for A%A.

Today he got a denial letter. I haven't read the letter, My Mother read it to me over the phone and i couldn't believe some of the things they used to deny him. Things that had to come out of his medical records from 2 years ago or longer when he didn't have a diagnosis of Cancer yet.

What can i do, He is in stage 4 Liver Cancer and don't think he will make it long enough to appeal.

Anything i can do short of a NOD ?

Thanks, Jessie :rolleyes:

Jessie,

I find it honorable that you are assisting your brother. I am sure he is grateful and proud to have you as a brother.

My only advice is to go full court press and keep your brother in good spiirits and don't give him to much of the VA BS news.

Jessie,

I find it honorable that you are assisting your brother. I am sure he is grateful and proud to have you as a brother.

My only advice is to go full court press and keep your brother in good spiirits and don't give him to much of the VA BS news.

Thanks,jecsb4:

Thank you for your kind words!! And the advice. Yes, I do believe i will forge ahead and Nod his decision.

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

When you NOD please consider asking for a DRO Hearing.It wually takes a few months sometimes less but if you get face to face with a Hearing Officer I think that you can get it straightened out.

Good Luck and thanks for helping a Veteran

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

When you NOD please consider asking for a DRO Hearing.It wually takes a few months sometimes less but if you get face to face with a Hearing Officer I think that you can get it straightened out.

Good Luck and thanks for helping a Veteran

Thanks Pete53:

I will do that.!!

Jessie

Guest jangrin

Jessie,

Take a look at, 38 CFR 3.352

This addresses Aid and Attendance and what is required to qualify. It is very specific in stating exactly what the VA requires. Especially important is the inability of your brother in handling the daily self care items, dressing, feeding himself, and bathroom needs. These seem to be the reason for denials most of the time. If the vet can do these things they feel he does not need the A&A.

I wonder if housebound is easier to get then A&A. Is your brother able to leave the house, or is it only for doctors appointments?

I'm sure you will be able to get this approved for your brother. make sure you let them know the urgency of the situation in the first couple of sentences of your NOD. (Get their attention that this needs to be handled quickly). You have gotton good at this stuff, I'm sure you will be able to get some resolution fo your brother. Good Luck.

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Jessie,

I take it this is the brother who you helped get SC'd for Polycythemia Vera. I am sorry to hear about the condition going to cancer. This is the same thing that happened to my mother. It took about 11 years for hers to result in the cancer.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.