Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssi Claim

Rate this question

JCORNELL745

Question

I have had a non service connected pension since 2002...10% service con and 70 % non and 100% total dis from va......I have not worked since 2001....i was accepted in voc rehab about the same time and went through the program off and on...but am not allowed to finish due to non-employability.......what are the chances of getting ssd....i have had a tough time with child support and other financial issues lately and am trying to figure out my options...

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

it depends on how much your SSD payments would be but if you have minor kids they pay additional amounts for the kids and most states accept the SSD child support checks as payment in full for child support if approved for SSD you will lose the NSC pension as it is a needs based program you would keep the 10% SC check though did you ever file a claim for SSD whne you quit working? Did you have the required quarters for eligibility? SSD usually pays more than VA NSC but if you go on SSI it is less than NSC but the VA will make up the difference but there will be no extra checks from SSI for the kids you may just be making more of a mess for yourself you need to find out what your SSD or SSI payments would be and your eligibility should be from the day you quit working but the SSA will not give you 5 years of back pay I think they are limited to one year then you would have to repay the VA for the NSC that overlaps.....