Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dmii And Vision Problems

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have DMII what kinds of vision problems are considered secondary? I was told by contract doctor for the VA I have small cataracs. The VA doctor said this was just old age kicking in but I suspect otherwise.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have senile cataracts something VA does not seem to be willing to help me with. I can't even get to see VA eye Doctor but every 2 years.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Peopel with DMII are 60% more likely to get cataracts than people that don't have it.

IF you get an eye doc to give you a nexus saying that it is "AS likely as not" that the cataracts were caused by your DMII, then you will probaby get Service Connection.

That is making the assumption that your DMII is already Service Connected.

Here is the Rating Schedule for Cataracts:

6028 Cataract, senile, and others:

Preoperative.

Rate on impairment of vision.

Postoperative.

Rate on impairment of vision and aphakia.

6029 Aphakia:

Bilateral or unilateral............................... 30

Note: The 30 percent rating prescribed for aphakia is a minimum rating to be applied to the unilateral or bilateral condition and is not to be combined with any other rating for impaired vision. When only one eye is aphakic, the eye having poorer corrected visual acuity will be rated on the basis of its acuity without correction. When both eyes are aphakic, both will be rated on corrected vision. The corrected vision of one or both aphakic eyes will be taken one step worse than the ascertained value, however, not better than 20/70 (6/21). Combined ratings for disabilities of the same eye should not exceed the amount for total loss of vision of that eye unless there is an enucleation or a serious cosmetic defect added to the total loss of vision.

Donewsome

Sorry to completely answer your question I wanted to add that their are other conditions that are usually Secondary such as Retinopathy and Glacoma also.

Their are many more that can probably be connected but I gave you the ones that I have seen a lot in vets that have DMII.

Hope this helps.

Donewsome