Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Letter

Rate this question

LOA

Question

I need help. I am going to get stressor letter or actually just letter from two of my co workers who have seen pyschological and medical changes in me over the past few years. I am filing a claim but I want to get the letter in case I have to challenge there decision. I want to get the letter now in case they move away. My question is can anyone tell me where I can find an example of a letter? Is there such a thing?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I need help. I am going to get stressor letter or actually just letter from two of my co workers who have seen pyschological and medical changes in me over the past few years. I am filing a claim but I want to get the letter in case I have to challenge there decision. I want to get the letter now in case they move away. My question is can anyone tell me where I can find an example of a letter? Is there such a thing?

You are not asking them to write a Stressor Letter; that is something the veteran alone must do. See M21-1, Part III, para. 5.14©(6).

What you are asking for are Lay Statements or Lay evidence. There's no hard and fast rule: are the co-workers supportive, will what they say help or harm your claim? Obviously, if they are willing to help you want to give them a rough idea or outline. If they know the details of your medical history, they might begin by saying they knew you BEFORE and AFTER. Describe your social demeanor (happy, sad, open, warm, spirited, etc) and also occupational level of functioning: productive, efficient, teamplayer, loner, etc. If you get some kind of report card from the boss, include these as well.

Edited by Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

Wing, they are very supportive of me. I currently work in a office with just me and my co worker, our boss is at another location in another state. My co worker understands my situation and medical conditions. He finishes my sentences for me when I forget my words (so I don't look dumb), he reminds me of deadlines and always reminds me of appointments and meetings. He helps me a great deal and in doing so my boss does not know the extent of my medical problems. He has seen me when I was depressed, tired, short tempered and when my mood change in a split second. He and my husband are the only two to really see and understand the impact my medical and mental conditions have on my life both occupationally and personally. IF VA does not capture it correctly, I want to have something to back up my situation. The second co worker use to work with me several years ago. He saw my mood and out look on things change when a 17 year old kid I had recruiter for the military died in a car accident going to his reserve unit drill one weekend. He was so young and still in high school. I am not saying I have PTSD but I hated my job after that and continued doing it for 4 more years. Shortly there after I was placed on Prozac but I never told anyone about the situation. Again I am not making a big deal out of it but I think it had something to do with my realization of life. I think a letter from each of these people will help to bring a full circle to my situation that I could never convey in the short sessions with the Va doctor.

To get a disability service connected it takes

1. current documented disability

2. in-service nexus (the cause,link,event, accident, death of someone in unit,personal assault, exposure to hazardous material,IED, etc- meaning the reason you feel you have a SC disability.)

3. Medical documentation supported that #2 has caused # 1.(and often the inservice event has to be proven unless your disability is presumptive.)

These lay statements could possibly help show how the disability affects you daily yet you need to satisfy the main criteria above for service connection.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The medical evidence would be foremost and the most important items towards your claim. Though the letters would help support your claim, there must be a strong emphasis on getting treatment and medical documentation. Don't be modest about what you are claiming. If you feel its service connected, well than it is.

Good luck

Hello, these medical conditions are in my SMR. I have the diagnosis and because they are all in my SMR from active service, I believe this covers the nexus (not positive) but what I don't have is a reason. What I mean by that is I was diagnosed with depression- due to medical conditions FMS, and CFS and my lack of mobility. But to descibe to someone how I feel on a daily bases is hard. Also when you say I am unemployable (which I am not) because I have a job now but my work is limited due to my impairments. This is where the letters I thought might help?

A doctor or Va rep can not make an accurate assessment of me (hell any of us) just by looking at us, only the people who spend all day with us and see us at our best and our worst know what we go threw.

If you do not think these letter will do any good please let me know as I know combined you all have more experience with Va then any VA or service rep does. I value you opinions. If it will help or could possible be useful in the future, is there an example I can give them. Thanks

Yes-

"but my work is limited due to my impairments. This is where the letters I thought might help? "

You are RIGHT!!!!!

I regret that I often forget who is who here- yes-I remember your claim

well now-

and you sure are right that co workers and significant others know our limitations etc far better than the VA does.

If I said unemployable-what I meant was if you were unemployed these letters would help TDIU claim too-

A vet making less then the poverty scale in wages is often considered so marginally employed that the VA could award this vet 100% comp rate even though they are employed-

it depends on many factors-however-

there was news story here at hadit of a Vet rep who was employed as one and also receiving 100% comp-

and I always make the case that former VA Secretary Max Clelland and Chesty's Son Lewis Puller- employed as lawyer at VACO-were both catastrophically disabled and their SCs would have prevented them from being employed.I dont know if they in fact did work for VA and received VA comp too-

which I think they should have gotten both-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.