Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fact Or Fiction....

Rate this question

notime362

Question

I am reaching out for some ideas from my FRIENDS on this board. I have filed a claim with the help of my VO. I am having flashbacks from the Viet-Nam War. I was with a Patrol Squadron, and our job was to follow everything on the water. I saw, felt and witnessed many things as we ran operations on the various islands in the Pacific. Anyway, at the time I was anywhere from 17-21 years of age. Oh, to be able to turn back the hands of time... Anyway, I went to the VA for help with my problems. At that time, the waiting time was quite lengthy, because of shortage of doctors, with many seeking help. I currntly see my Pscyh by television every two months, and a social worker on the alternate months. They advised me to file a claim for PTSD. At times, I get so depressed, I get suicidal thoughts. I have informed both of them, and they documented this in my file. They told me to please call the Suicide Hot-Line when this happens, and that call will also be noted. When I did call, the girl told me at the end, I had to call the Military Suicde Hot-Line for that to happen. She said she would file by E-mail that I called, with the VA. My question - Is the VA just passing the buck, by telling me to call the Hot-Line, Will this hurt my case, and will be 100% disabled with Social Security hurt my claim? Thanks for your help, and God Bless...

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out....Jack Buck

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

notime,

Your claim for PTSD will not be hindered by anything you described in your post. I recommend you call the hotline that you feel most comfortable with and has the easiest access.

JMO and good luck,

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

Has any doctor formally diagnosed you on paper with PTSD?

What is the SSA award for?

You need to file VA form 21-526 available to file or download and print at the VA web site.

You need one to one help with any suicidial thoughts.

"Is the VA just passing the buck, by telling me to call the Hot-Line, Will this hurt my case"

If you need immediate emergency care call 911 or get to any ER-ASAP if you continue to have these thoughts-

"I am having flashbacks from the Viet-Nam War. I was with a Patrol Squadron, and our job was to follow everything on the water. I saw, felt and witnessed many things as we ran operations on the various islands in the Pacific."

Unless you have awards on your DD 214 indicating direct combat with the enemy you will have to prove to the VA what in-service events caused your PTSD.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

You need to file VA form 21-526 available to file or download and print at the VA web site.

"Is the VA just passing the buck, by telling me to call the Hot-Line, Will this hurt my case"

If you need immediate emergency care call 911 or get to any ER-ASAP if you continue to have these thoughts-

"I am having flashbacks from the Viet-Nam War. I was with a Patrol Squadron, and our job was to follow everything on the water. I saw, felt and witnessed many things as we ran operations on the various islands in the Pacific."

Unless you have awards on your DD 214 indicating direct combat with the enemy you will have to prove to the VA what in-service events caused your PTSD.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out....Jack Buck

Bertha

Why would he file VA Form 21-526, if he has already filed a claim shouldn't he just file VA Form 21-4138 instead of filling out all that stuff on VA Form 21-526, Sgt D

"Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way"

I have been diagnosed by my Psych and Social Worker as having PTSD. They both told me to file a claim. I went to my VO to file, and she downloaded a bunch of forms to fill out. I had 10-12 Stressor letters for her. Since I had the Viet-Nam Medal w/star, I wouln't need the letters. We filed in mid-March, and I got a letter from St. Petersburg that my claim has been received and is being processed. From what I read here, don't even begin to look for any help until at least September. As for my SSD, I had a brain tumor(non-cancerous) removed in May, 2001. Because of it, I lost the hearing 100% in my right ear, along with my equalibrioum. Two attempts later, I was approved 100%. Now with my MH, and that, I know I'll never work again.

I thought he said they told him to file a claim-

it looks like someone did give him the forms-

"Since I had the Viet-Nam Medal w/star, I wouln't need the letters"

If you mean the VSM with one Bronze Star- hold onto those stressor letters just in case.

A VSM with Bronze Stars denotes you participated in a campaign in some way.It is not proof of a stressor.

My husband had the VSM with 3 Bronze Stars and other combat awards.

He still had to do the whole stressor letter,PTSD C & P stuff etc etc and has SSA award for PTSD.

His claim took 6 years and he died whle it was in progress.

Only months before he died did he obtain a DD 215 with all of his military decorations listed.

But without a PH (and the USMC did not award CARs as they were all Infantry in Vietnam in addition to their MOS)

his stressors had to be verified verified by JSCURR.

If you have any doubt at all that you DD 214 is correct-now is the time to download a DD 149 (available under search here) and make sure the DD214 is corrected.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.