Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

dwilli12

Question

30% SC (10% - Lt foot surg, 10% - Rt foot surg, 10% - Laceration w/scar Rt thigh, 0%- multiple conditions)

Just had C&P exam for sleep apnea at St Pete VAMC, already had two sleep studies w diagnosis AFTER retirement (20 yrs USAF), buddy letters and wife affadavits, secondary to GERD which is 0% SC already. I took the CPAP to the C&P, the provider laughed good naturedly and asked if it was "show and tell" today. I said "Yes, ma'm!" I expect 50% for the SA for a total of 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% rounded down to 60%. Puts me in range for CRDP and some retro as well.

Its been 2.5 years since I filed for SA and it's been denied twice. AMVETS rep has kept it alive by asking for more evidence and IMEs and requesting reconsideration instead of formal appeal. This C&P is the first movement I have seen on the VBA's part that was not stonewall. This might work out after all.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

30% SC (10% - Lt foot surg, 10% - Rt foot surg, 10% - Laceration w/scar Rt thigh, 0%- multiple conditions)

Just had C&P exam for sleep apnea at St Pete VAMC, already had two sleep studies w diagnosis AFTER retirement (20 yrs USAF), buddy letters and wife affadavits, secondary to GERD which is 0% SC already. I took the CPAP to the C&P, the provider laughed good naturedly and asked if it was "show and tell" today. I said "Yes, ma'm!" I expect 50% for the SA for a total of 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% rounded down to 60%. Puts me in range for CRDP and some retro as well.

Its been 2.5 years since I filed for SA and it's been denied twice. AMVETS rep has kept it alive by asking for more evidence and IMEs and requesting reconsideration instead of formal appeal. This C&P is the first movement I have seen on the VBA's part that was not stonewall. This might work out after all.

Welcome aboard I have been dealing with my claim for sleep apnea for 2 years denials and nod, so I am getting my hopes high on getting it sc.

Take heart! I got the call today from my AMVETS rep - VA has granted me SC for Sleep Apnea (secondary to my 0% for GERD), despite the fact that it was diagnosed more than a year after retirement. My 2 sleep studies and 3 IMO/IME letters (all from private docs) put me over the top. Interesting, though.......My rep says that I am now rated 70%......I thought SA with CPAP is rated at 50%, and when you add in my three 10% SC conditions you get the following: 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% >>>> 60%.

Either he is mistaken (I hope not) or they have found another 10% somewhere.

And they gave me an effective date back to 30 Dec 05, when I first filed for SA. So the last 2.5 years have been worth it all. I owe AMVETS and my rep a huge thank you, and a lifetime membership.

While I joined hadit.com late in the game, I have still read valuable advice here. I hope all of you will persist in your efforts to get the benefits we earned, need, and deserve. Send any questions about my BVA experiences to date, and I'll be glad to share.

Air Power!

Take heart! I got the call today from my AMVETS rep - VA has granted me SC for Sleep Apnea (secondary to my 0% for GERD), despite the fact that it was diagnosed more than a year after retirement. My 2 sleep studies and 3 IMO/IME letters (all from private docs) put me over the top. Interesting, though.......My rep says that I am now rated 70%......I thought SA with CPAP is rated at 50%, and when you add in my three 10% SC conditions you get the following: 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% >>>> 60%.

Either he is mistaken (I hope not) or they have found another 10% somewhere.

And they gave me an effective date back to 30 Dec 05, when I first filed for SA. So the last 2.5 years have been worth it all. I owe AMVETS and my rep a huge thank you, and a lifetime membership.

While I joined hadit.com late in the game, I have still read valuable advice here. I hope all of you will persist in your efforts to get the benefits we earned, need, and deserve. Send any questions about my BVA experiences to date, and I'll be glad to share.

Air Power!

I am happy for you. Congr. on your victory hopefully some of use can also get it to.

Dwilli - congratulations on your success. Maybe the increased rating was a 10 percent for the GERD.

This claim should not have been so hard for a large portion of the medical community states that GERD does cause OSA.

Stay with Hadit as you may be able to help others with the claims process.

Got the VA retro today...almost exactly what I predicted (> $20K)

No word yet from DFAS or VA about regular monthly payments or CRDP.......

probably missed the deadlines for the June payments.

Still waiting on the mail to get the VA decision packet.

Never had that much $$ in a checking account before!

:rolleyes: