Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asthma And Ptsd

Rate this question

BernieB

Question

I am 47, 50 percent SC for major depression (ptsd) and gerd/IBS. Recently, I've been diagnosed with asthma. My private doc is iffy about GERD being the cause. Could PTSD be a cause or aggravating it?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can find medical evidence you might be able to get it but I think that the GERD would be the better route to get it connected.

It is estimated that more than 75% of patients with asthma also experience frequent heartburn, a condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). People with asthma are twice as likely to have GERD as those people who do not have asthma. Of the people with asthma, those who have a severe, chronic form of asthma that is resistant to treatment are most likely to also have GERD.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/heartburn-asthma

I am 47, 50 percent SC for major depression (ptsd) and gerd/IBS. Recently, I've been diagnosed with asthma. My private doc is iffy about GERD being the cause. Could PTSD be a cause or aggravating it?

Yes without a doubt Bernie. I know first hand. PTSD will aggravate and cause many other conditions.

I don't think any doctor can actually state the reason for adult onset of astham because a number of things can be the cause of asthma and many more things can trigger an attack. In order to get a valid response to your question you really need to talk to your doctor and and request a medical opinion. You will need a written medical opinion any way, if you decide to try to get it service connected.

Best of luck.