VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request For Increase What Do I Ask For

Rate this question

ruby

Question

May 1986 my orginial award was for 10% for arthritis, cervical spine (traumatic) which is rated on par with degenerative.

In June of 2007 I was increased to 20% based on the following:

VA exam provide objective findings of your posture and gait are steady; position of head is normal. Curvature of the spin is preserved and there is symmetry with no spasm. But thier is tenderness to palpation with no painful motion. Range of Motion of Cervical Spine foward flexion 0-30;Exntension 0-15; right lateral flexion 0-25; left lateral flexion 0-25; right lateral rotation 0-34 left lateral rotation 0-45. Your total combined cervical spine range of motion of 335 degrees. There is no change with repetition. There is reduced range of motion die to pain but no fatigue, weaknes of lack of endurance, or anklyosis. Cervical spine x rays from March 2006 were normal.

I have been having problems with increased muscle spasms, pain, headaches, numbness and tingling in my hands and arms. I had that in June of 2007 also but I thought it was related to my bilateral carpal tunnel etc.

I recently had an MRI-which showed

Findings:

Multilevel degenerative changes are seen.

At C2-3 level, an irregular disc osteophyte complex indents the thecal sac but does not cause any significant canal or foraminal stenosis

At C3-4 leveel, a diffuse disc bulge indents the thecal sac, with mild canal narrowing without significant cord compression

At C4-5 leel, a diffuse disc osteophyte complex indents the the thecal sac, touching and slightly compressing the ventral spinal cord with resultant moderate spinal canal and bilateral mild to moderate nerual foramen narrowing.

At C5-6 level, an asymmetric (left sided prominent) disc osteophyte complex indents the ventral spinal cord and results in mild spinal canal and moerate to severe left neural foramen narrowing.

C6-7 level, osteophyte complex indents the thecal sac with mild spinal canal and bilateral neural foramen narrowing

At C7-T1 --no significant disc bulge or canal stenosis is seen.

Impression:

Multilevel spondylitic changes as described with varinging degrees of spinal canal and neural formamen narrowing.

Mild cord compression is seen at C4-5 level with mild to moderate foraminal narrowing. Moderate to severe left neural foramen narrowing is seen at C5-6

What would I ask for when I put in for an increase.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I'm no expert, but I would think you would need to go to Neurology and get an EMG report that shows compressed nerves from the narrowing in your neck in order to be able to claim the tingling and numbness in your arms and hands. I don't know about the headaches or spasms.

Has anyone talked to you about your MRI results? You could ask them about the headaches and spasms so they could connect it on paper. We both know it's related, but we're smarter than they are obviously. :huh:

Susie

I'm no expert, but I would think you would need to go to Neurology and get an EMG report that shows compressed nerves from the narrowing in your neck in order to be able to claim the tingling and numbness in your arms and hands. I don't know about the headaches or spasms.

Has anyone talked to you about your MRI results? You could ask them about the headaches and spasms so they could connect it on paper. We both know it's related, but we're smarter than they are obviously. :huh:

Susie

No, I won't see anyone for a couple more months. I am sure they are related like you said but I have 2 forms of arthritis and I guess I trying to ask how I present this is the type that is service connected and not the other kind that isn't sc.

Thanks for your response