VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Billing Question?

Rate this question

OhioDonn

Question

I go to the VA and for over nine months I was not charged for my diabetes prescriptions. Then in August I got a bill of over $350. Now my problem. When I got my bill after so long a time I called and talked to the VA Patient Representative. I was told by her and the billing employee she had me contact that I owed nothing. I was told to ignore the bill and if I received another one to let them know. I didn't receive another bill for a couple months and then got a threatening letter saying that I could have any government pay or income tax refund attached for the amount I owe. However, after talking to the Patient Representative again I was told that she remembered talking to me and she would straighten it out. The problem is I continue to get more frequent threats from the billing department and now I can't get the Patient Representative to return my calls. I don't know how long I should wait but I guess the more important question might be is how much authority does the Va Patient Representative have? Has anyone else had similar dealings.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never run into this, but after years of dealing with VAMC and the Patient Rep., the answer would be, as much as the VAMC Director backs her up on.

It is obviuosly past time to elevate the problem. You can show that you attempted to solve the problem at her level. You go to the VAMC Adminstrative chief, and if that doesn't get it solved in a hurry, go the the VARO Director. If you allow them to initiate garnishment proceedings, it can really take a long time to get it straightened out.

You could of course go to the Finance Officer at the VAMC, but you would be lucky it that solved the problem.

Good luck

Edited by wallyg

I go to the VA and for over nine months I was not charged for my diabetes prescriptions. Then in August I got a bill of over $350. Now my problem. When I got my bill after so long a time I called and talked to the VA Patient Representative. I was told by her and the billing employee she had me contact that I owed nothing. I was told to ignore the bill and if I received another one to let them know. I didn't receive another bill for a couple months and then got a threatening letter saying that I could have any government pay or income tax refund attached for the amount I owe. However, after talking to the Patient Representative again I was told that she remembered talking to me and she would straighten it out. The problem is I continue to get more frequent threats from the billing department and now I can't get the Patient Representative to return my calls. I don't know how long I should wait but I guess the more important question might be is how much authority does the Va Patient Representative have? Has anyone else had similar dealings.

Copays depend on the Priority group you are assigned to. If you are service connected for DM then you owe nothing. If you are 50 percent service connected then again you owe nothing. The VA Patient rep has allot of authority as a directors liason. The Rep has the director behinnd them. IF you are not 50 percent service connected and are not service connected for your billed condition, I would talk to the Means test people at The VA and ask for a waiver until this mess gets straightened out.