Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Little Good News For Vets With Mental Health Issues

Rate this topic

luv2fly

For the first time in VA history 2.2 billion in "fence" money has been set aside for vets with PTSD and other mental health issues which means this appropriated money cannot be siphoned-off for other VA funding purposes coz it's "fenced" for mental health issues only.

Vets like myself who now attend badly needed weekly PTSD group therapy can at least for fiscal year 2006 rest a little easier knowing this money won't be diverted for other purposes.

Good luck to all and stay safe!

David

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete.......in the past VA has always robbed Peter to Pay Paul (no pun intended) so they did this to prevent $$ being siphoned off for things like building repairs,etc,and in anticipation of all the 'new' claims they are now receiving and will continue to receive from returning Iraqi and Afghan vets. They feel all the political pressure and thus need to "show" the families of returning vets as well as the public at large that VA is doing "all" it can to care for returning vets thus in the past VA has had to siphon-off any available funds and cut corners elsewhere for appearances sake they can meet current vet obligations and VA's former monetary short-falls due to VA underfunding caused by a lack of foresight,planning,and understanding of what they were and are now faced with in the aforementioned Iraqi and Afghan involvement. Oh well, some things never change,huh?.....lol

David

Hope it works that way and why do they need fence money when it was promised in the first place?

Just a thought. This actually may prove usefull if what is considered the media's "buzz phrase" of traumatic brain injury in this War holds true. I have been unable to have my physical symptoms from TBI recognized because they are subjective. My award will surely be decided on my organic cognative disorder that can be tested.

Time