Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Psychologist's Verbal Opinion?

Rate this question

Guest Jim S.

Question

As I stated in a previous post, I had a difficult time last week that ended with a 72Hr self admit to the local VAMC Psych Ward. During the time their I took the MMPI test at their request and then discussed some of my answers, which if read out of context, whould have definetely led to a borderline Schizophrenic diagnosis.

After having spent some time with the Pyschologist, she was able to more accuretly determine the results of my MMPI test. Also, we discussed a little bit about my acute schizophrenic episode in the service and how it may have played a part in my problems with depression and anxiety since leaving service and with what I was experienceing with depression and anxiety now. Her verbal opinion said that the severity of the acute episode and having no resolution as to the cause, could well lend itself to inner tensions that could lead to both depression and anxiety.

My worry is how to approach this Psychologist, if her report on my MMPI and psychological profile do not reflect her verbal opinions to me, that to me clearly provided a nexus to my episode while in service. Further, at no time was it even hinted at, that I had a personality disorder, such that was opinioned by the VA Examiner in my original claim.

Preliminary reports I have been able to acquire, are thus far mute on the subject of a personality disorder as part of, at least any current findings. Would this be probative to give weight to other medical and personal records, that are mute as well, on the issue of a personality disorder being the cause of my past and current problems since leaving service?

Will I have to have the Psychiatrist and/or Psychologist specificaly state that in their opinion, that either the personality disorder, that the VA Examiner opinion on, had no baring on my psychotic episode in service and/or may have been a result of, or a personality disorder superimposed on a mental disorder, for it to have any weight to out weigh the presumption that the personality disorder was an alternative diagnosis to that of a mental disorder?

Certainly the VARO didn't require the VA Examiner to state as much, when they used his opinion of a personality disorder, as an alternative one to a mental disorder.

Jim S. B)

p.s. I have an appointment on thursday, so I will hope to see what the Psychologist may have written for the records and may make some of these questions mute, but to be forwarned is to be forearmed.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim:

The main thing is that you are cooperating in trying to get yourself much needed professional assistence. This is serious stuff and I bet that after a proper diagnosis and the right meds you will feel a lot better. I wish you well.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.