VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Question

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, my mind wanders and I been wonderin.

Say one incurred a concussion, knocked out and recovers enough to be released next day, recorded in medical records, is that considered a TBI? Treatment at 2 different hospitals, but later released after being 'watched' overnight.

Or is a TBI a severe impact that causes a chronic condition, needs followup care, stivitches bandaged, surgery etc?

To have the TBI recognized as such, does the vet need ongoing care? or just wait until something occurs that 'reconnects' the injury to a current condition?

The dumb question is the one not asked,

cg

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My TBI appointment was uneventful at best. I talked to a nurse for approximately 30 minutes about Iraq, and then I met with the doctor for about 20 minutes. They gave me a questionnaire, and I filled that out when I first got to the VA. This is what the basis of my meeting with the doctor was about. He says I screen for TBI, and I need to go back for a 3-4 hour comprehensive exam. I will keep you updated when I get the appointment and what transpired.

Timetowin, good to see you! Thank you, Sandbox, best wishes and Berta you are always informative! Time, that was a long time for you, 12-14 yrs, your psych doc earned their wings. Thank you sincerely for your service.

Checking my short 'ought to be sc' list, tbi question nags at me.

Smrs show patient with possible concussion admitted to 2 different mil hosp's for 'observation' within 24 hours. No flags to tbi to any other visits forward. Neuropsych exam, is that lengthy? - putting pegs in holes, other odd tests, childhood questions and how long I could sit in a chair answering? IF so, had va exam like that with 1st claim. Clown wrote 'probable' diagnosis of nsc Pd. ha. n.s.c = non 'service' compensable, better definition.

Other sc ratings are in, but I feel tbi need sc. Oh, concussion (aka,tbi) was listed on first claim years ago. Way back then, didnt know how to va proof the claim, appealed a few issues for sc, but most were denied. Fast forward to past few years, realized I've 'hadit' with ignorance and am catching up.

Thanks again,

Cg

Cowgirl, Yes the testing was lenghty. It is mostly a battery of IQ testing. Often the MMPI or other 'personality assesment' is given also. They are looking for cognative disorder but not generaly low numbers across the board. It is low results in different areas that don't make sence that point to TBI. An example is my language scores were a bit above average in the 70 percentile range but my verbal scores are extremely low in the 3 percentile. Since language and verbal abilities are intertwined the scores are not normal. Things like MDD will cause reduced IQ across the whole range.

The VA refused to test me, I had to get it done privatly. I would not be the least surprized that your tests could have shown signs of head trauma but at that time most docs did not understand the signifacants. Many TBI sufferers have spent time in mental institutions for years. It has only been in the last few years things have changed. For twelve years I had told many docs of my head injury both inside and outside the VA. Not one even pursued the issue saying it could not cause the problems I was having.

Sandbox, I will do some research and see if I can get you some links. I don't know where you are located or what your status is but some places in the VA are better than others for TBI evaluation and treatment. Time is very important for treatment.

Here is the site I recomend anyone with possible TBI visit.

Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC)

Also from my experience, if I could do it all over again starting after the injury and these resources were available to me, I would do everything possible to be evaluated at one of these centers.

With the exception of one C&P Doctor that pointed me in the right direction, I have yet to be properly evaluated nor treated by the VA. Five years after diagnoses.

Okay, my mind wanders and I been wonderin.

Say one incurred a concussion, knocked out and recovers enough to be released next day, recorded in medical records, is that considered a TBI? Treatment at 2 different hospitals, but later released after being 'watched' overnight.

Or is a TBI a severe impact that causes a chronic condition, needs followup care, stivitches bandaged, surgery etc?

To have the TBI recognized as such, does the vet need ongoing care? or just wait until something occurs that 'reconnects' the injury to a current condition?

The dumb question is the one not asked,

cg

cg - TBI is the same as any ratable disability in that it must be a disability. The fact that you banged your head is not ratable. What is ratable is if you are now having residual problems in which the doc will say are due to the head bang you had in service. So without residuals and follow-up medical treatment the claim will not pass muster. But if you are having problems seek medical care and then process the claim.

cg - TBI is the same as any ratable disability in that it must be a disability. The fact that you banged your head is not ratable. What is ratable is if you are now having residual problems in which the doc will say are due to the head bang you had in service. So without residuals and follow-up medical treatment the claim will not pass muster. But if you are having problems seek medical care and then process the claim.

There is a new physical that you must request, Fast Letter dated 07-21, specifically deals with TBI and all its sub tendencies. I just had a DRO hearing and I was advised to request this physical. Still waiting on my physical in Manchester, NH.

TBI is much more than a bang in the head. Visit BIAA website.

TBI is much more than a bang in the head. Visit BIAA website.

Just a figure of speech my friend. Sorry if you were offended. The original poster was not speaking of TBI as known to current iraq/afghan veterans.

Edited by Ricky