VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo- Nurse

Rate this question

Guest Berta

Question

I have 2 IMOS that the VARO has failed to read or consider.

I was talking to my ex-husband- it is my birthday and he always calls me-

He is a retired Nurse-he had quite a situation that I need to ask about in SSA forum here-

The VA in their VACO review in 1997 said that (documented) the nurses notes were more comprehensive than the doctors entries - they sure did have a better comprehension of the veteran's disabilities.

He suggested-if needed-he could give me an IMO with Rod's records.He came to my last two weddings -obviously he is still a close friend.

I said well we should state that you are in fact my ex husband and the VA has a copy of our divorce papers anyhow- as part of the DIC award- and the VA has no problem with a relative in that respect for an IMO-

that part is ok- but has anyone ever asked a nurse for an IMO?

He immediatly agreed with the other IMOs based on a chem report I read to him-

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Berta:

As I read this, the nursing notes were for daily observations made by the Nurse over a periond of time.

Doctors conclusion are in part, based on the observation and findings made by the Nurses who have direct contact with the person on a daily and nightly basis, where as the Dr may visit once a day, if that. If the Dr did not consider the Nurse's notes and observations, and based his/her diagnostic opinion solely on his/her own observations, then he/she isn't much of a Dr and some one noting that the Nuse's notes and obaservation, in fact better show an understanding of the patient, then I can see how their written records would be of more probative value than the Dr's.

On the otherhand, if the nerse is only writing his/her observations and opinions based on what someone else has witten, Then they would have to support their own opinion based on seperate evidence, such as would be accepted by the average medical community and/or medical studies or treateses to support their IMO.

If your Ex had direct contact in a medical capacity, with your prior husband, then this would only help his opinion.

Of course, he could give his IMO and hope the VA doesn't just ignore it, as being biased, given your relationship to him.

Good luck,

Jim S. :)

p.s. Had to make some political correct corrections, he/she, him/her, I don't want to anger a male person refering to them as her and vise verses. LoL :D

Edited by Jim S.

Guest Morgan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BERTA! And happy New Year!

So nice to hear exs can be friends. :D

I think an IMO from him would be great. The regs say all "competent medical evidence" must be evaluated.

I'm sure you have read this before, but just as a reminder:

§3.159: Competent medical evidence means “evidence provided by a person who is qualified through education, training, or experience to offer medical diagnoses, statements, or opinions.”

He's an ex and a friend, but that doesn't diminish his competence to render a medical statement or opinion. I think it would be similar to having skilled care provided by a relative...no problem with that, so I don't think this would be a problem either. Of course, the weight of any evidence is always at VA discretion anyway; even a board certified physician's diagnosis, statement, or opinion might not cut it with VA. The way I understand it, all the rater has to do is say the supporting doctor's rationale was not as persuasive as a conflicting one.

Carrie

Edited by Morgan

Thank you both-

I am not sure if I will even ask him to do this- he said he would- but under SSA yesterday I posted what he is dealing with-

I already have two excellent IMOs- these weigh the scales in my behalf-

I have taken positive steps to get the VARO to read them-they have never been considered yet in over a year-

and I medically have broken down their so called expert opinion- that made me angry-

to think a claimant has to write in medical lingo and refer to medical records and explain to VA what they say and mean- it is just ridiculous-my ex said I sounded like a doctor when we discussed Rod's records -

I can rattle off creatine,CO2,hyperlipedia, nystagmus- etc------

why should ANY claimant have to learn all this stuff---

Guest Jim S.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR BERTA, MAY IT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR FAVOR THAN LAST.

I JUST HOPE THAT NASTY OLD GUY IN THE BLACK CAPE AND SICKEL, ISN'T CATCHING UP TO YOU. JUST

REMEMBER THAT THE OLDER YOU GET, THE FASTER YOU HAVE TO RUN TO STAY AHEAD. LOL :D

Edited by Jim S.

Guest Morgan

You not only sound like a doctor but a lawyer too.

One thing for sure, I'm glad you were born! And I'm sure everyone at hadit.com would chime in on that! :D

Carrie

Hi Berta..

Josh here wishing you a belated Happy Birthday and New Year to you. :D

Please take the best of care for yourself.

Josh