Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi/pcs?

Rate this question

atlb685

Question

My boyfriend is in the process of doing an NOD, and I am trying to help him with it. But in the process, I am getting quite confused...

When he was discharged in 2001, he was rated at 10% for "Post-Concussive Syndrome with chronic headaches, cognitive disorder, and mild dysthymia" He went in for a C&P about a year ago, and they changed his rating to 50% for "dysthymic disorder due to Post-Concussive Syndrome/cognitive disorder" He also has a new rating for chronic migraines/headaches, instead of it being lumped together as it was before.

What confuses me is that it appears that they have seperated the headaches and are lumping PCS and cognitive disorder into the same category, whereas before the cognitive disorder was a consequence of PCS.

Is there a seperate rating for PCS? Or would this qualify as a TBI since it has been 7 years, and he is still struggling? It is my understanding that PCS and Mild TBI are one in the same. In fact, in the actual write up from the Doctor that did the C&P, it states several times that he displays evidence of TBI. But this isn't included in the rating...

I am not sure how to proceed from here. Should he see a new doctor? He is fine with most of the ratings, but doesn't understand why he was not rated for PCS or TBI seperately. Is there no such thing? If there is, would he be able to gather evidence of TBI and present ONLY that for a new C&P, or would they re-evaluate the original conditions as well?

Please excuse me for being ignorant about this whole process. I appreciate any help you can provide.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You are not being ignorant about this whole process...all of us here are learning the ways and means of the VA and how they bend and change claims to suit there needs. The claims processes are very trying and difficult to go through their maze.

If one is not educated in the va processes they cannot be expected to know how to challenge it. You wern't born knowing your abc's so there is no way you would have any idea how a system of this magnatude would operate.

I think some of the elders, or others are searching for some answers to your questions. I am not familiar with it, but want you to know I will encourage those who are able to help, to do so. This is a site of vets, and families/ friends working together to help eachother. We don't judge, but offer assistance when we can. Stay strong and hang tuff. :P

Does he have his complete military records? Is he using a vso( veterans service officer) to help him?

Besides the home page information on this site, checkout watchdog.org too, Jim Strickland is a guy who works with vets too. Email him too for assistance. Some books by John D. Roche can be bought very reasonably too to help you along this process, but the specifics I know the folks here or Jim can help you with. Good luck.

Edited by halos2

You are not being ignorant about this whole process...all of us here are learning the ways and means of the VA and how they bend and change claims to suit there needs. The claims processes are very trying and difficult to go through their maze.

If one is not educated in the va processes they cannot be expected to know how to challenge it. You wern't born knowing your abc's so there is no way you would have any idea how a system of this magnatude would operate.

I think some of the elders, or others are searching for some answers to your questions. I am not familiar with it, but want you to know I will encourage those who are able to help, to do so. This is a site of vets, and families/ friends working together to help eachother. We don't judge, but offer assistance when we can. Stay strong and hang tuff. :P

Does he have his complete military records? Is he using a vso( veterans service officer) to help him?

Besides the home page information on this site, checkout watchdog.org too, Jim Strickland is a guy who works with vets too. Email him too for assistance. Some books by John D. Roche can be bought very reasonably too to help you along this process, but the specifics I know the folks here or Jim can help you with. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have been searching all over the web for answers, but I am having a hard time...

He does have a VSO, but evidently he is not being incredibly helpful. I will encourage him to make contact with the VSO again though. I guess my next step is finding a doctor that specializes in TBI to give him a good write up. I just want to make sure we get this right, because he deserves it. He has sufferred for 7 years now without much recognition from the VA...

Thank you again!

To help keep this discussion going, if nothing else. My take on it is thus, the dysthemic disorder and cognitive disorder are being lumpt together as mental problems due to the PCS/TBI and the migraines/headaches are more of a Pain issue or physical issue due to the PCS/TBI even though you don't say if they list the PCS/TBI as the direct cause of the migraines/headaches.

Since the Hooplaa over Veterans with PCS/TBI's, the VA has had to start looking at these types of injuries differently than in my days. In the past, if you had a concussion and after a short period of time you could pass a simple neurological test, your concussion was said to have resolved with no residual effects. Now, more indepth tests have shown that in most cases, more severe symptoms may not show up right away, it could well be years before any symtoms reach a level that they can be measured. A person could well live out his life with as much as 30% dissability and not even be aware he has a problem. The only problem that he may be aware of, is that he cannot seem to do things as well as others or that he is a failure at getting ahead in life.

It is a wonderful and selfless thing you are doing for your boyfriend, had he been left alone to figure these things out, he could well be one of the many homeless Veterans out their who have no clue as to what or how things have gone so wrong in their lives to get where they are today.

My recommendation, if you do not already have one, find a Veterans Group/Service Officer who you feel comfortable with, to help you better understand the claims process and then use this forum as a sounding board to check everything you have learned from them, to make sure their information is not only correct, but helpful to your present and future claims.

I should have made this point at the beginning, PCS/TBI's are today what PTSD and agent orange was to Vietnam Veterans. Good luck and heart felt appreciation for sticking with your boyfriend.

Rockhound Rider :P