VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos Question - Vet Friend Needs Help

Rate this question

Mike Soumis

Question

Vet was a Electricians Mate, USS TATTNALL, Guided Missile Destroyer, active duty 65 to 67. He worked on electrical motors including changing motors. All areas on the ship were insulated with asbestos. He states that all work was done with no type of protection for breathing etc. Sometimes they had to cut out asbestos to get into motor areas and then replace it when finished. Vet got cancer in 1999 of the head and neck and hasn't worked since. He also has breathing problems and at times is on oxygen bottles. He recieves SSDI. He was treated at VAMC Milw. they removed all his teeth and his consent form says he had a randomized Phase II trial of concurrent radiation and chemotherapy for advanced safuamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. This vet lives in a 20x20 cabin with no running water, no power, wood heat, gas lights, no phone, small generator. I told the Vet that his cancer could be from the asbestos and could be SC. He has never filed a claim, does anyone think the cancer could be from the asbestos? The cancer is in remission now, he goes for a 7 yr. checkup next week. Cancer started when he was 52. He has heavy type breathing. I told him I 'd post this and see if anyone besides me thought he should file a claim.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Guest jstacy

Cancer caused by asbestos exposure mostly effects the Lung with conditions such as interstatial fibrosis or cancers of the Lung, Mesothelioma. Carcinoma of the Head and Neck may not be related to asbestos exposure. You stated the Veteran was on Oxygen and has a Lung disorder. He may be able to sesrvice connect the Lung disorder if it was caused by the Veterans asbestos exposure. Also if the Veteran was exposed to any chemicals in service because he was an electricians mate he may be able to also connect that. Do you know what his lung condition is?

Cancer caused by asbestos exposure mostly effects the Lung with conditions such as interstatial fibrosis or cancers of the Lung, Mesothelioma. Carcinoma of the Head and Neck may not be related to asbestos exposure. You stated the Veteran was on Oxygen and has a Lung disorder. He may be able to sesrvice connect the Lung disorder if it was caused by the Veterans asbestos exposure. Also if the Veteran was exposed to any chemicals in service because he was an electricians mate he may be able to also connect that. Do you know what his lung condition is?

I'd have to ask him about his lung condition. When he was released from the VAMC for cancer treatment his breathing ability was very bad. In 7 years since his episode his breathing still is heavy sounding. He is not using the oxygen bottle currently but still has shortness of breath. Also I can ask about chemical exposure. He did say several times they changed motors in vent tubes, had to cut out asbestos and were big, time consuming jobs.

Asbestos can cause cancers of other types too---

I posted some time back the VA training letter on this.

I have a colon cancer asbestos vet.

He had no other etiology prior to or after service for this cancer-and 2 inservice MOS in Navy of highly probable exposure-

VA recognizes the potential of asbestos to cancers other then the lung involvement.

But a good IMO sure would help this vet.

My Navy vet put chemicals as carcingenics in service too as the only other etiology possible.

We were hoping the Veterans Carbon-Tetrachloride Bill would move- it is still stilling in the Senate-

Still- a vet who was exposed to any chemicals or cleaning fluids in service with long term potential for disability should not hesitate to put this into their claims.

Asbestos can cause cancers of other types too---

I posted some time back the VA training letter on this.

I have a colon cancer asbestos vet.

He had no other etiology prior to or after service for this cancer-and 2 inservice MOS in Navy of highly probable exposure-

VA recognizes the potential of asbestos to cancers other then the lung involvement.

But a good IMO sure would help this vet.

My Navy vet put chemicals as carcingenics in service too as the only other etiology possible.

We were hoping the Veterans Carbon-Tetrachloride Bill would move- it is still stilling in the Senate-

Still- a vet who was exposed to any chemicals or cleaning fluids in service with long term potential for disability should not hesitate to put this into their claims.

In addition to installing electrical motors etc., the vet said they also rebuilt motors right on the ship. Whatever had to be done, they did it. That tells me he was exposed to every chemecal, every whatever took place on the ship as residue, dust etc. is all built up in and on electrical equipment. I've been trying to get him to file a claim. Its never to late. I was going to have meet with the VVSO in 2 weeks. I will tell him that a IMO would be a great help.

• HadIt.com Elder

If he can afford an IMO, then I'm sure the doctor will figure it out, but if you are doing any Web resesarch for him, you should know that what you are probably looking for is SQUAMOUS carcinoma.

Here's a good reference for it:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/tre...s-neck/patient/