Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Soumis

Asbestos Question - Vet Friend Needs Help

Question

Vet was a Electricians Mate, USS TATTNALL, Guided Missile Destroyer, active duty 65 to 67. He worked on electrical motors including changing motors. All areas on the ship were insulated with asbestos. He states that all work was done with no type of protection for breathing etc. Sometimes they had to cut out asbestos to get into motor areas and then replace it when finished. Vet got cancer in 1999 of the head and neck and hasn't worked since. He also has breathing problems and at times is on oxygen bottles. He recieves SSDI. He was treated at VAMC Milw. they removed all his teeth and his consent form says he had a randomized Phase II trial of concurrent radiation and chemotherapy for advanced safuamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. This vet lives in a 20x20 cabin with no running water, no power, wood heat, gas lights, no phone, small generator. I told the Vet that his cancer could be from the asbestos and could be SC. He has never filed a claim, does anyone think the cancer could be from the asbestos? The cancer is in remission now, he goes for a 7 yr. checkup next week. Cancer started when he was 52. He has heavy type breathing. I told him I 'd post this and see if anyone besides me thought he should file a claim.

5 answers to this question

Guest jstacy

Cancer caused by asbestos exposure mostly effects the Lung with conditions such as interstatial fibrosis or cancers of the Lung, Mesothelioma. Carcinoma of the Head and Neck may not be related to asbestos exposure. You stated the Veteran was on Oxygen and has a Lung disorder. He may be able to sesrvice connect the Lung disorder if it was caused by the Veterans asbestos exposure. Also if the Veteran was exposed to any chemicals in service because he was an electricians mate he may be able to also connect that. Do you know what his lung condition is?

Cancer caused by asbestos exposure mostly effects the Lung with conditions such as interstatial fibrosis or cancers of the Lung, Mesothelioma. Carcinoma of the Head and Neck may not be related to asbestos exposure. You stated the Veteran was on Oxygen and has a Lung disorder. He may be able to sesrvice connect the Lung disorder if it was caused by the Veterans asbestos exposure. Also if the Veteran was exposed to any chemicals in service because he was an electricians mate he may be able to also connect that. Do you know what his lung condition is?

I'd have to ask him about his lung condition. When he was released from the VAMC for cancer treatment his breathing ability was very bad. In 7 years since his episode his breathing still is heavy sounding. He is not using the oxygen bottle currently but still has shortness of breath. Also I can ask about chemical exposure. He did say several times they changed motors in vent tubes, had to cut out asbestos and were big, time consuming jobs.

Guest Berta

Asbestos can cause cancers of other types too---

I posted some time back the VA training letter on this.

I have a colon cancer asbestos vet.

He had no other etiology prior to or after service for this cancer-and 2 inservice MOS in Navy of highly probable exposure-

VA recognizes the potential of asbestos to cancers other then the lung involvement.

But a good IMO sure would help this vet.

My Navy vet put chemicals as carcingenics in service too as the only other etiology possible.

We were hoping the Veterans Carbon-Tetrachloride Bill would move- it is still stilling in the Senate-

Still- a vet who was exposed to any chemicals or cleaning fluids in service with long term potential for disability should not hesitate to put this into their claims.

Asbestos can cause cancers of other types too---

I posted some time back the VA training letter on this.

I have a colon cancer asbestos vet.

He had no other etiology prior to or after service for this cancer-and 2 inservice MOS in Navy of highly probable exposure-

VA recognizes the potential of asbestos to cancers other then the lung involvement.

But a good IMO sure would help this vet.

My Navy vet put chemicals as carcingenics in service too as the only other etiology possible.

We were hoping the Veterans Carbon-Tetrachloride Bill would move- it is still stilling in the Senate-

Still- a vet who was exposed to any chemicals or cleaning fluids in service with long term potential for disability should not hesitate to put this into their claims.

In addition to installing electrical motors etc., the vet said they also rebuilt motors right on the ship. Whatever had to be done, they did it. That tells me he was exposed to every chemecal, every whatever took place on the ship as residue, dust etc. is all built up in and on electrical equipment. I've been trying to get him to file a claim. Its never to late. I was going to have meet with the VVSO in 2 weeks. I will tell him that a IMO would be a great help.

If he can afford an IMO, then I'm sure the doctor will figure it out, but if you are doing any Web resesarch for him, you should know that what you are probably looking for is SQUAMOUS carcinoma.

Here's a good reference for it:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/tre...s-neck/patient/