VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Other Avenues For Documentation?

Rate this question

DblTap1

Question

My dad is a WWII vet. Combat jumps into New Guinea,then back surgery in Saporo. He was told years ago that his paperwork was destroyed in the St. Louis fire and he is simply SOL.

I see posts regarding Viet Nam era vets and VA issues. Are there other avenues for getting med documents that are either not in possession of the SM or St. Louis?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I have held in my hands "records" that VA said were " destroyed in the St. Louis Fire".

It pays to really see if this is a fact.

I suggest he send the NARA a SF 180- the site will take you step by step on this form- which is on line there-

also you need to print out the bar coded thing (I assume the format at NARA hasnt changed since I used it last)and he needs to copy and sign it (the bar coded thing) and send it to where the form directs him too-so that his signature is associated with his records request-

http://www.archives.gov/

He should ask for all medical and all personnel records.

ALso I assume he receives SSA either for retirement or disability- this also is one possible place his military records could be at-

I was stunned that the Corning SSA office had my husbands complete Mil records from USMC and USN as well as VA medical records that the Newark NJ VA told me they had absolutely no record of-(they had sent them to SSA)

He could also try to get a buddy statement or unit history- I assume he does have his DD 214.

WOuld his MOS alone help establish his claim?

Then again a MOS on a DD 214 often never reflects exactly what a vet did in service.

Maybe if we know more as to what he is claiming-we could help more-

I NEVER buy the "St Louis Fire" story if it comes from a VARO- unless the vet himself sends NARA the SF 180 and they say it.