VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Inquire

Rate this question

Done wit this

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Here is my orginal post on the topic.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...c=10981&hl=

I couldn't remember - but according to my original post, the regs say that if the child is over 18 - a separate claim should be filed for DIC.

But then again:

1. They told me NOT to file a formal claim.

2. All the evidence shows they KNOW he is over 18 because:

a. I listed his age.

b. They asked for evidence to show he was disabled prior to the age of 18.

So I am hoping they don't come back and say that *I* failed to file a formal claim within the time-frame, because I asked to file one, they told me not to, and THEY pursued adding a child over 18 to MY claim instead.

Free

free_spirit_

I am sure not expert But ,I think adding your son to your claim is not the right thing to do, I think thats the worst advice you could have got...never have I read anything like that,Hopefully One of our elders Here will clarify this ...This adding him to your claim seems absolutly nutts...

• HadIt.com Elder

An Iris Inquire is generally not official means of communication between you and the RO. Iris is informal, but I think there is a trick to the iris trade. First print all of your responses, as they can be submitted into your claims file by you. You can follow up on your original if you are not satisfied by the first responce.

In a particular situation that I was in, The RO failed to acknlodge three timly NOD's- I sent a first iris and the reply was a generized statement that stated no appeals were noted. I followed up in responce that in my own records I have one RO hand stampted NOD and two others that were sent Cert. mail and gave the numbers. My reply from that was that my correspondece would be forwarded to the apeals team. I sent via cert. mail a printed copy of the exchange and two weeks later (three months after the one year period) a got a letter tell me "We have received your notice of disareement".

In my opinion, even though iris is un-official it can be turned into offical- or at least a very good tool in pointing what you did do and the VA did not.

I was not sure exactly what the VA's take on the IRIS is. It is the actual means they have set up to communicate with them.

I do see where it is informal, as opposed to letters you write to them, and letters you receive from them.

However, we have not had much luck with them responding to any letters we have written asking questions. They DO respond to an IRIS.

Some of the regs talk about "written communication" with the VA. I would think that the IRIS would count as a form of written communication.

For instance, in the case in point - I would think my IRIS would count as written communication of the intent to file a claim (i.e. an informal claim).

I do like the IRIS better than phone communication because there is a record of what was said on both sides.

I don't think it bcomes a part of the official claims file unless the vet submits it as evidence.

However, I certainly think it should be able to be used as evidence.

Free

An Iris Inquire is generally not official means of communication between you and the RO. Iris is informal, but I think there is a trick to the iris trade. First print all of your responses, as they can be submitted into your claims file by you. You can follow up on your original if you are not satisfied by the first responce.

In a particular situation that I was in, The RO failed to acknlodge three timly NOD's- I sent a first iris and the reply was a generized statement that stated no appeals were noted. I followed up in responce that in my own records I have one RO hand stampted NOD and two others that were sent Cert. mail and gave the numbers. My reply from that was that my correspondece would be forwarded to the apeals team. I sent via cert. mail a printed copy of the exchange and two weeks later (three months after the one year period) a got a letter tell me "We have received your notice of disareement".

In my opinion, even though iris is un-official it can be turned into offical- or at least a very good tool in pointing what you did do and the VA did not.