VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hurry Up And Wait!

Rate this question

hfsess

Question

Allow me to introduce myself.

Age 57, married 2 adult children, live in Milledgeville, GA Serverd U S Army 1968-1971, RVN 1/69-1/70 6th Bn 32 Artillery Phu Hiep RVN.

Healthy as a horse until 1988 suffered 1st heart attack at age 39, have since had 4 more & three strokes had bypass surgery after 3rd MI at Augusta VAMC.

After surgery medically retired by social security in 1990. Was earning over 50K annually ;and learned to live on 12 K.

When diabetes included in AO I was one of 1st to apply and received 20% diabetes, 20% erictile dysfujnctions, (now have penile implant) 10% coronary artery disease for and overall 40% service connection as of 2/1/2001.

Last June 6/05 I applied for increased compensation and 100% unable to work. I have been waiting for over 6 months now and only receive a letter stating my claim is still being considered.

I applied throgh the state of GA VA. Should I have begun with a service organization, am DAV and VVA? Is six months normal for a claim.

The VA Docs have since diagnosed me with diabetic nephropathy and I have begun Insulin injection daily. I requested and got copy of my C & P exham and the VA Doc did not mention that I told her I could not walk more that 100 feet without chest pains and dizziness and shortness of breath. Is there part of the C &

P exham paperwork they do not let me see?

I am curentely receiving Enhanced External Counter Pulsation treatment to strengthen my heart so I can function normally.

My civilian docs provided a history of treatment but would not give me a letter describing my condition. Forgot to mention I am in 2nd stage of kidney failure from disbetes, when original 40% granted I appealed on kidneys and was turned down. Only have 40% kidney function left.

Someone told me a 40% rating means you are 60% dead. I am begining to believe it.

Any suggestions or communications would be appreciated. WELCOME HOME ALL!

hfs

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am four years into my claim with the Columbia VARO, I like you had a stroke 7 heart attacks among various other problems, I am 50% SC for PTSD despite statements from my shrink saying that I am permanently and totally disabled by it and my GAF scores have never been higher than a 45 they are normally 30-35, I have learned that the VARO's pay attention to what they want to, ignore the rest of it, let you appeal it to the BVA where it will get remanded because they never gave you the C&P exams you should have been given, the process will take years, not months, we are heart patients they are hoping we drop dead before they have to award SC for cardio-vascular problems. I started this in Oct 2002 it is now Jan 2006, I was just given the C&P exams for stroke and cardiac on 28 Dec and 3 Jan. Learn patience...... and appeal it to the BVA as fast as you can..

Allow me to introduce myself.

Age 57, married 2 adult children, live in Milledgeville, GA Serverd U S Army 1968-1971, RVN 1/69-1/70 6th Bn 32 Artillery Phu Hiep RVN.

Healthy as a horse until 1988 suffered 1st heart attack at age 39, have since had 4 more & three strokes had bypass surgery after 3rd MI at Augusta VAMC.

After surgery medically retired by social security in 1990. Was earning over 50K annually ;and learned to live on 12 K.

When diabetes included in AO I was one of 1st to apply and received 20% diabetes, 20% erictile dysfujnctions, (now have penile implant) 10% coronary artery disease for and overall 40% service connection as of 2/1/2001.

Last June 6/05 I applied for increased compensation and 100% unable to work. I have been waiting for over 6 months now and only receive a letter stating my claim is still being considered.

I applied throgh the state of GA VA. Should I have begun with a service organization, am DAV and VVA? Is six months normal for a claim.

The VA Docs have since diagnosed me with diabetic nephropathy and I have begun Insulin injection daily. I requested and got copy of my C & P exham and the VA Doc did not mention that I told her I could not walk more that 100 feet without chest pains and dizziness and shortness of breath. Is there part of the C &

P exham paperwork they do not let me see?

I am curentely receiving Enhanced External Counter Pulsation treatment to strengthen my heart so I can function normally.

My civilian docs provided a history of treatment but would not give me a letter describing my condition. Forgot to mention I am in 2nd stage of kidney failure from disbetes, when original 40% granted I appealed on kidneys and was turned down. Only have 40% kidney function left.

Someone told me a 40% rating means you are 60% dead. I am begining to believe it.

Any suggestions or communications would be appreciated. WELCOME HOME ALL!

hfs

Veteran-thank you for your service- they are sure lowballing you- in my opinion.

Here in NY - my VARO takes anywhere from 3 months to over three years with claims-

Two of my vets waited 12 TWELVE years to finally get an award of SC.

What specifically is your SSA award for -the strokes???

I will attach a TDIU form -as you-in my mind-should definitely be receiving the Total disability rating-100%

On Question #18 check Yes and then under Remarks # 25 state you are attaching a separate page and tell them what the SSA is for, and state all of your conditions as due to DMII-

the strokes-, the peripheral neuropathy-heart disease, the ED, and anything else you have that can be associated with the DMII.

Tell them your SSA records support your claim and then list the side affects of all SC meds they give you that would prvent employability- like causes confusion, drowsiness, do not take and drive, etc.

I highly suggest- since they might also have to pay you SMC, Special Monthly Compensation---

that you obtain a service officer with an office right at this VARO if possible-

for the TDIU claim. Unless you mean you have a rep with the state of Georgia-

I have NY State Division of vets affairs- is this what you meant - a state div of veterans affairs?

They usually are pretty good-

the heart rating- WAY too low- and your strokes are probably from clots, ischematic, lunacar type , transcient and also permanent damage- these are more than likely due to the DMII-if from atherosclerosis-

has any doc told you that you have atherosclerotic heart and brain involvement?

my claim is almost exactly the same-

If your vision has been permanently altered-when compared to ante stroke vision tests, put that into the TDIU claim too---the renal problems (kidneys) this too is more than likely due to the DMII -put that into your claim too-

Also remind VA that their own Diabetes Mellitus Training letter shows the significance of all your disabling conditions to your SC DMII.

I will attach the TDIU form.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

if you are using the augusta office of the state VA reps across from the blue goose, run to VVA or DAV and change your POA, they told me I should be happy with 50% SC for PTSD and to quit wasting their time trying to get my strokes and heart condition SC. I have no use for the state VA office at the blue goose.

• In Memoriam

Crap, there goes my BVA video hearing scheduled for 2-15-05. I have not been given my C&P exam for PTSD. I can't believe that I missed this. I will just have to wait for the BVA traveling board, and put off the video conference hearing. I have two more days to reply to the choice of the two hearings. I have requested the C&P just now for the second time. I have had GAF of 43 for the last 1 1/2 years.

The VA will not give out this information, about C&P. I guess they figure that they will put you in the loop. Maybe I can cut them off at the pass. I will find out Monday 1-23.

hfses,

welcome to hadit.

I am only 56 1/2 (hehe). I have two children (25 and 19), and I served from 1969-1971. I lasted until 2001, then wham. Was making good income, now 12K. I kind of down shifted into 2nd.

Thanks Mike.