Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Parents Income Level

Rate this question

Detonator

Question

I wanted to add a dependent parent but I'm not sure if her income level is to high

Can anyone tell me what the income level is before I go through all the paperwork and hassle of submitting to add a dependent parent? What law or VA regulation can I look at?

<h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 6pt;">Why Is the Dependent Parent Benefit Based on Income and Net Worth?</h1> Since the benefit is based on need, VA cannot pay additional benefits for a dependent parent(s) if their countable income is greater than the limit set by law, or whose net worth is sufficient to meet basic needs without assistance from VA. To determine need, the parent(s) must report their income from all sources, such as gross wages, Social Security, retirement, pension, insurance, interest, and dividends for the last 12 months. The parent(s) must also report the current value of all interests, such as annuities, stocks, bonds, businesses, and bank accounts. They do not have to report personal property such as a home, car, furniture, or clothing.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I wanted to add a dependent parent but I'm not sure if her income level is to high

Can anyone tell me what the income level is before I go through all the paperwork and hassle of submitting to add a dependent parent? What law or VA regulation can I look at?

<h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 6pt;">Why Is the Dependent Parent Benefit Based on Income and Net Worth?</h1> Since the benefit is based on need, VA cannot pay additional benefits for a dependent parent(s) if their countable income is greater than the limit set by law, or whose net worth is sufficient to meet basic needs without assistance from VA. To determine need, the parent(s) must report their income from all sources, such as gross wages, Social Security, retirement, pension, insurance, interest, and dividends for the last 12 months. The parent(s) must also report the current value of all interests, such as annuities, stocks, bonds, businesses, and bank accounts. They do not have to report personal property such as a home, car, furniture, or clothing.

This is a good question. I have also been looking for this info. One important thing I think to count is what they have to pay per month for medical care. I believe that is subtracted from their monthly income. I have my in-laws living with me and it can get expensive.

This is a good question. I have also been looking for this info. One important thing I think to count is what they have to pay per month for medical care. I believe that is subtracted from their monthly income. I have my in-laws living with me and it can get expensive.

I also wanted to add that one part of the requirement is that the sponser pays for at least 50% of the parents living expenses. Also, it is depending on the Post Commander of where your parent will seek medical care if they allow parent dependants to recieve more than emergency care. I am a dependant parent veteran at Fort Campbell, where they do not allow parent dependents to get full medical care. Good luck! SuSan Brisby

I keep hearing the %50 percent rule and to date no one has cited the code that covers that. I would really like to see the source of this contribution rule. Im not sure its accurate.

DIz

The "countable income set by law" is available here at:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/rates/pen01.htm

and it changes from year to year.

Altho these are the pension rates, remember that if you are on VA pension and you earn above those numbers, you wont get a pension.

Even tho the VA has all of these different parts, and often the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, I think this answers your question.