VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Go About Proving Secondary Connection.

Rate this question

Greginaz

Question

Fourteen years ago I was medically discharged due to knee problems. I submitted to the VA for disability six years later and was granted ten percent for damage to the medial meniscus, with a provision for recognizing instability in the knee.

Now I have arthritis in every joint in my lower body and lower back.

My question is what do I need to do to find out if the arthritis is a secondary effect of my damaged knee, and not just old age (at 35) like the VA docs are telling me it is. I know I would need a nexus report at some point but is this where I should begin?

If it is the beginning point should I just ask the VA or go to an independent examiner?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I did report some pain in a couple of joints other than my one knee that is currently rated. however no follow up was done on this.

I understand that altered gait, from the knee injury, can result in early onset arthritis, and am trying to figure out how to find out if is the case for me.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Unless another medical doctor has suggested the cause and effect of your SC Knees, I would begin by searching the BVA for similarities. See example http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files3/0823540.txt

If you do have a doctor type person in your corner, then file a VA Claim and be prepared for a good fight. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder
Sorry, the diagnosis is based on x-rays done by the VA during a treatment for a recent flair up

That's a good start. Ask your VA Primary Doctor what s/he thinks about the cause and effect/relationship between the two ... Search BVA for like Claims.

Follow your gut instincts. ~Wings