Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cancelling Medications Without Notice

Rate this question

Navy Spook

Question

I emptied a bottle of medication I have been taking for over 20 years. I couldn't find my renewed bottle. I checked myhealthVA and could see that I ordered it at the same time as my other meds a couple of weeks ago. The website reports that the prescription has "expired" (as opposed to being "active") and also shows 4 refills remaining. The script is only about 6 months old. Nobody called me to tell me the med was cancelled nor did I get a letter.

I am totally out for Sunday and abrupt cessation of this medication causes "Abdominal and muscle cramping, convulsions, hallucinations, confusion, tremors, depression, and suicidal ideation". If I am an hour or two late taking this med I get severe muscle cramping, I don't know what will happen if I miss a day.

If I suffer any serious side-effects because of the VA cancelling my med without telling me, do I have a claim? I mean, if I have convulsions, which is the most usual problem as I understand it, I won't have any lasting damage unless it kills me or I bite my tongue off or something. I'm not really after monetary compensation for a temporary withdrawal "detox", but I would really, really like someone to put a large boot up the rear-end of those responsible.

But i get the impression that suffering and perhaps almost dying won't get much attention from anyone and I'll just be wasting my time. I'm hoping someone will say "Fill out a form 82 stroke B and heads will roll". Anybody?

Military retirees earn their retired pay by service alone, and those unfortunate enough to suffer a service-connected disability in the process

should have VA disability compensation added to their earned military retired pay, not subtracted from it.

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I emptied a bottle of medication I have been taking for over 20 years. I couldn't find my renewed bottle. I checked myhealthVA and could see that I ordered it at the same time as my other meds a couple of weeks ago. The website reports that the prescription has "expired" (as opposed to being "active") and also shows 4 refills remaining. The script is only about 6 months old. Nobody called me to tell me the med was cancelled nor did I get a letter.

I had a similiar situation happen with me. Perscriptions must be renewed periodically, regardless of the number of refills left. Your Dr who perscribed them, it would seem, has forgotten to update the written perscription and needs to do so. You will have to call and make sure they are notified of the problem or better still, do a walk in and ask to see the Nurse and they can see that it gets done.

I am totally out for Sunday and abrupt cessation of this medication causes "Abdominal and muscle cramping, convulsions, hallucinations, confusion, tremors, depression, and suicidal ideation". If I am an hour or two late taking this med I get severe muscle cramping, I don't know what will happen if I miss a day.

It is a bit strange that when you ordered the meds you were not told that the perscription was due for renewal, but maybe doing it on line doesn't let you know of these types of problems, where as when I called in my resupply by phone, that was when I learned of my perscription needing renewal.

If I suffer any serious side-effects because of the VA cancelling my med without telling me, do I have a claim? I mean, if I have convulsions, which is the most usual problem as I understand it, I won't have any lasting damage unless it kills me or I bite my tongue off or something. I'm not really after monetary compensation for a temporary withdrawal "detox", but I would really, really like someone to put a large boot up the rear-end of those responsible.

I would guess if you fear you can not wait, then you may not have any alternative but to see that you get to your VA Hospital's Emergency Room. I'm sure they can provide you with a days worth of medication to see you till you can get your perscription renewed by your Dr.

But i get the impression that suffering and perhaps almost dying won't get much attention from anyone and I'll just be wasting my time. I'm hoping someone will say "Fill out a form 82 stroke B and heads will roll". Anybody?

Here's hoping things work out for you.

Rockhound Rider :D

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• HadIt.com Elder

It has happened to me several times.

One was a pain med that was prescribed monthly and a Dentist ordered a 14 day supply which canceled the other prescription.

Sometimes the VA will stop giving a medication on their own. Happened to me with Avandia.

From time to time the VA likes to put you in the penalty box.

My suggestion is to go to ER and make them fix it at the VA.

Good Luck

VA Pharmacy Sucks

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I used to live near the Dallas VAMC and never had a problem (with "canceled" prescriptions). Now I live near Tonopah, Nevada and it's 8 hours round trip to my CBOC. There is no VA emergency room. I'll be going to a non-federal facility.

But what I wanted to know is if there is a way to report potentially harmful negligence by the VA and get anything done about it.

Thanks guys.

Military retirees earn their retired pay by service alone, and those unfortunate enough to suffer a service-connected disability in the process

should have VA disability compensation added to their earned military retired pay, not subtracted from it.

Reporting it yes.....getting anything done about it.....no. Why? Because the VA governs the VA. Like I've always said, it's the fox guarding the henhouse.

You can start with the pt rep for the pharmacy (the lowest point) or you can start at the top and file a complaint through IRIS.

Best of luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

In August I had a problem with the renewal of my script for perocet which I have been on for years. I called and a week later I didn't have it, I called and they said the doctor signed it and the pharmacy was sending it out well 3 days later still no meds, I called back again and left a message for the doctor, a few more days went by and by this time I am a week into detox from the meds cold sweats, can't sleep etc, full withdrawals I called the Directors office and asked if they were trying to kill me since I am a severe Cardiac patient if they wanted me to detox I thought I should be hsopitalized for it, I disagreed with being cut off from a narcotic I had been on for 5 years like this, the doctor called me within 30 minutes wanting to know why I was trying to get HIM in trouble like hell almost kill me and you are worried about your job? I haven't had any trouble since.......

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

The nurse-e-poo at my clinic said that I have to call in EACH MONTH before they will refill my medications.

I asked;

"What's the point in having a postal or internet refill system set up if I have to call in each month?"

I mean like, I have service-connected, trauma related arthritis and fibromyalgia with sporatic migraines.

I believe that it must be nice to wear white and sit behind a desk.

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com